Club Only Competitions 2012

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alikocho

Reaction score
A new initiative brought forward by the CBA(UK), based on a very successful model in the US.

Clubs select their best beer and send it to be judged by the host club. 3x500ml bottles (or equivalent). Entries are free. Any club affiliated to the CBA may enter. 1 entry per club per competition.

Beers are placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd, with points awarded to contribute to Club of the Year at the National Competition (1st=12 points, 2nd=8 points, 3rd=4 points).

March 2012: Bitters - Hosted by Bristol Brewing Circle - judging on 18 March, entries due by 15 March. Contact Ali Kocho-Williams for delivery details.

June 2012: Wheat Beers - Host tbc

September 2012: India Pale Ale - judged at the National Homebrew Competition, 15 September.

Volunteer club for hosting in June?

Do you have a list of clubs that are affiliated to CBA (UK)?

trunky said:
Do you have a list of clubs that are affiliated to CBA (UK)?
This is a list of the Local Groups . . . If there are other clubs around (I think there is a Cheshire brewers group for example), they just need to contact us to say we are about, and would be interested in the competition . . .job done.

alikocho said:
Yes, but technically SCB is not affiliated to the CBA, as I am aware.

This says otherwise.....
http://www.craftbrewing.org.uk/index.php/localgroups#scotland[/quote]

Without getting messy (not my reason for posting) There are a couple of local groups on that list that are definitely no longer affiliated to the CBA (UK).

How will these club competitions work? is the competition only open to individual CBA members within the local groups or all the Local group members?

Will the local groups be expected to change their calenders/meetings in future to accommodate, these CBA club only competitions?

I don't recall the NCB being consulted or being given full rules/conditions of entry to the Club only competitions, prior to the above announcement,(& I did attend the last commitee meeting it wasn't part of the agenda, I do believe it will be a topic at the next meeting end of January though, more to try and fathom out the above questions etc though rather than a positive slant). The NCB are currently still affiliated to CBA (UK).

Cheers

UP

unclepumble said:
alikocho said:
Yes, but technically SCB is not affiliated to the CBA, as I am aware.

This says otherwise.....
http://www.craftbrewing.org.uk/index.php/localgroups#scotland

Without getting messy (not my reason for posting) There are a couple of local groups on that list that are definitely no longer affiliated to the CBA (UK).

How will these club competitions work? is the competition only open to individual CBA members within the local groups or all the Local group members?

[/quote]

It's the cub that enters, so the individual's affiliation is unimportant.

unclepumble said:
Will the local groups be expected to change their calenders/meetings in future to accommodate, these CBA club only competitions?

Only if they want to.

unclepumble said:
I don't recall the NCB being consulted or being given full rules/conditions of entry to the Club only competitions, prior to the above announcement.

That one's my fault in believing things were more self-explanatory than they seem to have turned out to be. Full rules/conditions will be sent out to all local groups shortluy.

CBA Club-Only Competitions

Club-Only Competitions are competitions between clubs rather than individuals. Entry is open to clubs affiliated to the CBA and to those which the CBA Competition Coordinator has deemed are bona fide homebrewing clubs/circles. Entries require 3x 500ml bottles. Entry is free.
It is the Club that is the entrant, not the individual brewer. The entry must be approved by the submitting club. The brewer need not be a member of the CBA, but should be a member of the submitting club. Each club may only send one (1) entry per competition. Your club should determine the procedure for selecting your club’s entry. Selection procedures can vary widely–some clubs choose an entry during an informal tasting, while larger clubs often run a formal competition. The club then sends the chosen entry to the appropriate judging site
Beers will be judged against BJCP style guidelines. Each Club-Only Competition covers one or more categories with one or more subcategories from the BJCP Style Guidelines. To ensure your club’s entry is appropriately evaluated, pay close attention to the categories and subcategories of the competition.
Points accrued contribute to the Club of the Year award at the UK National Homebrew Competition on the following schema:
1st – 12 points
2nd – 8 points
3rd – 4 points

Entering Club-Only Competitions
Each club may submit one (1) entry to a Club-Only Competition.
Identify the club on all paperwork, and include a return address for feedback.
Rubber-band a completed Bottle Identification Form (PDF file) to each of three (3) bottles that hold a minimum of 500ml in volume. Bottles may be of any color and must be free of ink, paint, or paper labeling other than competition entry labels. Bottles not meeting these requirements will be disqualified. Bottles with raised glass lettering are acceptable.
Using a permanent black marker, obliterate any and all words or pictures on the caps.
Fill out an Entry/Recipe Form Entry/Recipe Form (PDF file) completely, (you must fill in the category and subcategory you are entering!) and put it, into the package.
Send entries to the appropriate address for each competition; refer to the Please time the shipping of your entries for arrival by the entry deadline for each competition.
If you have questions about the Club-Only Competitions, contact the CBA Competition Coordinator, Ali Kocho-Williams

2012 Schedule

March – Bitters (8A, 8B, 8C). Bristol. Entries to be received by 15 March 2012
June – German Wheat Beers (15A, 15B, 15C). TBD
September – IPA (14A, 14B, 14C). National Homebrew Competition. Entries to be submitted to the same location.

Back