Clyne's (BrewBru's!) brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well after watching these brewday threads from the sidelines for over a year I finally decided to jump in and join the crowd. As much so I can make notes and remember what I did and when as I'm terrible at writing stuff up on brewdays. I tend to use a mixture of BeerSmith and a whiteboard in my garage but thought I'd start adding stuff on here as a bit of a diary.

So, last weekend was a double brew day!

First off was a variation of Dennis King's Galaxy Delight. Been meaning to brew this for ages and had the hops in the freezer for the best part of a year. Finally did it on Saturday (26th June). Didn't have Vienna Malt so used Munich instead, and used Cara amber as the "aromatic malt" in his recipe. Used a 20L strike, 90 minute mash @ 66C and used WHC Bond yeast (about 4th Gen I think). Bubbling away in the brew fridge as I type.

Second brew was an easier one, and also a first for me - tried the Hard Saltzer recipe from @Gerryjo on this thread. Didn't do any water adjustment as the water in the highlands is first class. Used the two lemons as suggested, but used a 5th Gen Safale US-05 yeast (previously used in a Citra SMaSH). Still fermenting away nicely, but keeping an eye on it to see if it does need more yeast and/or nutrient. Will take a gravity reading in a few days.

Uneventful brew day I think....oh no, hold on - I was attempting a closed transfer of a hoppy IPA I've been dry hopping from my SS Brewtech chronical to a corny and the hops clogged my disconnect so ended up having to just use a hose to do the transfer and then blast it with CO2. And then ran out of CO2. Then got a refill yesterday which was also empty. Brilliant (apparently the original supplier Adams Gas sent an empty up in a full pallet). Anyway got a refilled keg today and it's sitting under pressure now. Planning on transferring this again to another keg though and filtering it as didn't like the amount of hop matter that transferred. No brew day is ever perfect :cool:

Feel like I'm rambling now, so going to click "Post thread" before you get bored. You're still here? well done!

p.s. Also FINALLY managed to get another vid online as well, this time a brew of Orkney Dark Island Reserve clone (it was AMAZING!):

Well after watching these brewday threads from the sidelines for over a year I finally decided to jump in and join the crowd. As much so I can make notes and remember what I did and when as I'm terrible at writing stuff up on brewdays. I tend to use a mixture of BeerSmith and a whiteboard in my garage but thought I'd start adding stuff on here as a bit of a diary.

First off was a variation of Dennis King's Galaxy Delight. Been meaning to brew this for ages and had the hops in the freezer for the best part of a year. Finally did it on Saturday (26th June). Didn't have Vienna Malt so used Munich instead, and used Cara amber as the "aromatic malt" in his recipe. Used a 20L strike, 90 minute mash @ 66C and used WHC Bond yeast (about 4th Gen I think). Bubbling away in the brew fridge as I type.

Second brew was an easier one, and also a first for me - tried the Hard Saltzer recipe from @Gerryjo on this thread. Didn't do any water adjustment as the water in the highlands is first class. Used the two lemons as suggested, but used a 5th Gen Safale US-05 yeast (previously used in a Citra SMaSH). Still fermenting away nicely, but keeping an eye on it to see if it does need more yeast and/or nutrient. Will take a gravity reading in a few days.

Uneventful brew day I think....oh no, hold on - I was attempting a closed transfer of a hoppy IPA I've been dry hopping from my SS Brewtech chronical to a corny and the hops clogged my disconnect so ended up having to just use a hose to do the transfer and then blast it with CO2. And then ran out of CO2. Then got a refill yesterday which was also empty. Brilliant (apparently the original supplier Adams Gas sent an empty up in a full pallet). Anyway got a refilled keg today and it's sitting under pressure now. Planning on transferring this again to another keg though and filtering it as didn't like the amount of hop matter that transferred. No brew day is ever perfect :cool:

Feel like I'm rambling now, so going to click "Post thread" before you get bored. You're still here? well done!

p.s. Also FINALLY managed to get another vid online as well, this time a brew of Orkney Dark Island Reserve clone (it was AMAZING!):

Keep us posted and your progression....

Hi, sounds like a busy day. I'll watch your video later. Your videos were a big help when I was just starting with my all in one. It helped see ingredients whole processing. Cheers.

Ah, thanks @Jamesman - glad they helped, I really enjoy making them. Maybe not so much the editing hence why it sometimes takes me month to get them published :-) I was in the same boat when I first started out but struggled to find UK content so decided to just put a few online myself for a bit of fun. How are you getting on with the all-in-one now?

Ah, thanks @Jamesman - glad they helped, I really enjoy making them. Maybe not so much the editing hence why it sometimes takes me month to get them published :-) I was in the same boat when I first started out but struggled to find UK content so decided to just put a few online myself for a bit of fun. How are you getting on with the all-in-one now?
Hi, yes you're right there's not that much UK content out there, just a few people. I ended up buying a Brewmonk because I live in Germany and thought it would be better incase there was any problems. But I think most of the all in ones are very similar. I've only brewed once with it up till now a two hearted ale clone but it went really well a lot more relaxed than doing it in a pan on the stove. That's in the bottle now so just waiting for that to mature. That's the hard bit. Cheers.

Just watched your new video Orkney Dark island reserve. Very nice im gonna give that a go. Looks great up there where you live. I spent most of my holidays as a kid in Lochinver, Suththerlnd cause my Aunty and uncle had a B&B there. I love it there.
I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind about your dark island reserve recipe? Would you use more strike water to start off with because you ended up adding a few litres before the boil? What whiskey did you use for the oak chips? what dry yeast would you recommend? Did you ferment at 20c and last but not least how long did you leave it to mature for in the keg /bottle. Cheers.

Hey @Jamesman, sorry for delay in getting back to you. Lochinver is beautiful, we often camp around that area with some friends. The whole west coast is stunning though, my favourite place in the world (even more so when it’s sunny!)

re the dark island questions, yes I’d definitely use more strike water next time - probably an extra 3 or 4 litres.

the whisky was just a blend,can’t even remember which one. I’d be tempted to try a malt next time but would probably do a split batch to see how much difference it made to the flavour profile.

dry yeast - I’d probably use something like danstar Nottingham as I’ve used it successfully in other brews where it will let the flavours of the malt etc shine through

Fermented at 20C and left it for around 4 weeks but it definitely improved with age. I’d bottle some next time and leave it to mature in the cupboard.

let me know how you get on if you have a bash!

Keep us posted and your progression....

well after a week the hard seltzer had really slowed down but only reached 1030 so I’ve added 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and it’s successfully restarted fermentation. Don’t think it needs more yeast as it was a healthy slurry I pitched. I’m away for a week so will see how it looks when I get home at the weekend.

well after a week the hard seltzer had really slowed down but only reached 1030 so I’ve added 4 teaspoons of yeast nutrient and it’s successfully restarted fermentation. Don’t think it needs more yeast as it was a healthy slurry I pitched. I’m away for a week so will see how it looks when I get home at the weekend.
Good to see you got it going again but surprised that it stalled even using 5th gen yeast.As for yeast nutrient keep some yeast cake back next time and add some of it to the boil and that will feed help feed the yeast...

Hey @Jamesman, sorry for delay in getting back to you. Lochinver is beautiful, we often camp around that area with some friends. The whole west coast is stunning though, my favourite place in the world (even more so when it’s sunny!)

re the dark island questions, yes I’d definitely use more strike water next time - probably an extra 3 or 4 litres.

the whisky was just a blend,can’t even remember which one. I’d be tempted to try a malt next time but would probably do a split batch to see how much difference it made to the flavour profile.

dry yeast - I’d probably use something like danstar Nottingham as I’ve used it successfully in other brews where it will let the flavours of the malt etc shine through

Fermented at 20C and left it for around 4 weeks but it definitely improved with age. I’d bottle some next time and leave it to mature in the cupboard.

let me know how you get on if you have a bash!
Hi thanks for the info's. I'll get the stuff ordered and keep you updated. Lovely camping on the West Coast. We've just bought a caravan and would love to do a tour up there but I'm a bit terrified to drive there dragging a caravan with all the single track roads and passing places. Cheers.

So, today’s brew is an elderflower ale. Mashing in at the moment - will post full recipe later.

However, my hard seltzer is still fermenting and is down to 1.00 gravity reading. That’s been two weeks now. Should I stop it with some potassium sorbate? Just crash cool it? Leave it until it bottoms? Views welcome 😉

So, today’s brew is an elderflower ale. Mashing in at the moment - will post full recipe later.

However, my hard seltzer is still fermenting and is down to 1.00 gravity reading. That’s been two weeks now. Should I stop it with some potassium sorbate? Just crash cool it? Leave it until it bottoms? Views welcome 😉
Following this with interest. I've got a few days to go until I bottle an elderflower champagne. Only after finding out how to identify elderflower, have I noticed how abundant they are. They're everywhere! If the elderflower ale works out for you, I might give it a bash.

Make sure the gravity is stable as everything will ferment out as its just simply sugar.

Following this with interest. I've got a few days to go until I bottle an elderflower champagne. Only after finding out how to identify elderflower, have I noticed how abundant they are. They're everywhere! If the elderflower ale works out for you, I might give it a bash.

Hey @Scott Begbie - I made an elderflower ale last year and it was one of my favourite brews of the year! This was my recipe, although I altered it a little bit this year (120g of elderflowers rather than 100g), and a couple of minor (some accidental!) changes. I'll let you know how it turns out. Last years recipe:

3.8kg Maris Otter
0.2kg Crystal - 80L
20g Simcoe @ 30 min
100g Elderflower (Boil @ 5 mins)
20g Mosaic Boil 5 min

So, last weekends brew was interesting! Made my Elderflower ale as touched on previously (this years recipe below, last years above). Added the wheat malt to get a bit more head retention and wanted to use Northern Brewer (a) because I had lots in the freezer and (b) it's quite a nice clean hop.

The galaxy hop addition was a complete accident. I was dry hopping my Galaxy Delight beer and mistakenly picked up the wrong hop tub, so ended up just switching them around - so my Galaxy is now dry hopped with Northern Brewer and my Elderflower Ale with Galaxy! But that wasn't the only accident. I was using Safale US05 from a previous beer that I had stored in the fridge in a PET bottle. Took it out and let it come to room temperature and then before pitching gave it a shake to ensure I was getting all the liquid and yeast mixed nicely before I tossed it in. Well, that was a mistake. The top came shooting off, covered the garage in yeast and the top ended up in the wort!!! Whether I've contaminated it remains to be seen. I retrieved the plastic top and sprayed some starsan on anywhere I could, but I guess if nasties are going to get in they're going to get in. At least there's still loads of Elderflower in case I need to brew it again (and I still have plenty Northern Brewer lol). The joys of a brew day!!

4kg Maris Otter
0.25kg White Wheat Malt
25g Northern Brewer @ 60 min
125g Elderflower @ 5 min
50g Galaxy @ 5 min
Safale US-05 (slurry from previous beer)

Your elderflower ale should taste great with Galaxy, however, I'm not sure about the future fortunes of your "Northern Brewer Delight"! Sounds like an odd pairing.

So, I'm well overdue an update on my latest brews.

Firstly, the Hard Seltzer eventually stopped fermenting, and I mean eventually. Must have been 4 weeks before I eventually pulled it and keg'd it. The benefit of leaving it so long is that going into the keg it's pretty much crystal clear and is tasting great. I added a wee drop of some homemade elderflower cordial and it tasted amazing!

Secondly, the Galaxy/Northern Brewer Delight actually didn't come out that bad. Probably not as good as it would have had it been all Galaxy, but perfectly drinkable all the same.

My latest brew didn't fare so well, new post required!

Brew day for me was 31st July. A good friend of mine is giving up the sauce, but will take low ABV beer. So I offered to brew some < 1% beer and liked the sound of the recipe which David Heath has on his youtube channel.

First problem was I forgot to run the pump during mash! Doh - I was too busy multi-tasking with other jobs on what I thought was going to be a simple brew day. Anyway as it's low ABV and therefore low grain bill probably didn't matter too much. Managed to get it cooled and in the fermenter pretty quickly. Used Lallemand Windsor yeast and didn't re-hydrate (I never have with dried yeast and also followed the thread on here with interest). Perhaps that was a mistake as 7 days on there were no signs of fermentation. I decided to open her up on Sunday and added some oxygen (got my wife's electric whisk and buzzed it for a minute!)...still no bubbles visible which isn't promising. I also didn't like the look of the surface of the beer, was in two minds about whether it was early signs of infection or was it the yeast just starting to do it's job. Anyway, decided (like most things brewing) just to leave it for a few more days and see what happens. Watch this space...I may end up ditching it and just starting again. Feedback most welcome!

Definitely an infection of some sort in my low ABV beer. Zero fermentation activity but something nasty on top. I've binned it and given the fermenter a good clean with sodium percarbonate. Left some of it soaking and will give it another wash tomorrow. Hopefully get another crack at this one at the weekend as I reckon I can get it from grain to fermenter in about 3 hours if I do a bit of prep.
IMG_0055.jpg

Latest posts

Back