CML Five fermentation time

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I pitched a packet of this yeast into 24l of 1.062 wort five days ago. (19 degrees C)

Fermentation was really active 48 hours in- so much so that I had to change the blow off.

I have just measured the gravity and was suprised to see that it is still at 1.030.

When I have used similar yeasts in the past they had pretty much fermented out by now. For example I pitched a packet of NBS west coast ale yeast into a 1.061 wort it dropped to 1.014 in 5 days and 1.010 after 7.

I have left the trial jar in the ferm fridge with the hydrometer in it so I can monitor.

Has anyone had experience with this yeast? Is this par for the course? Or should I think about rocking the fermentor a bit and upping the temperature a degree or two?

Thanks

Hi I'm on my third of fourth brew with this yeast (can't remember exactly how many) and it has gone off like a rocket, really active in under 24 hours, and has dropped out nicely at the end of fermentation. You haven't said how long it's taken to reach 1.030, if it's just 48 hours then that seems pretty quick from 1.062 and I'd certainly give it a quite bit longer before worrying about attenuation or temperature.

Anna

I suppose stuck fermentation might be a problem then but day 5 still feels pretty early, it wouldn't do any harm to up the temperature to 21 or even higher, it has a spec of 17-28 deg. I'm fermenting with this yeast at 19 as well, aiming for 1.014 based on 78% attenuation.

Anna

I gave the fermentor a rock and upped the temperature to 21C.

The blow off started bubbling away merrily again before the temp had even risen.

Latest posts

Back