CML Hell yeast...FG query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm brewing a version of the CML Hansel Dunkel using their Hell yeast. The brew is fermenting away nicely at 15oC. This is my first brew using an iSpindle (fully calibrated, tho I accept it may be slightly off) so I've become a bit obsessed watching the gravity change. Normally I add the yeast, check after a day or two that there is some activity and then forget about the beer for 2 weeks. I then happily bottle and have had no issues. As I can now track gravity changes, I'm looking at how close the readings are getting to the predicted FG. The recipe published by CML notes an FG of 1.010 (from 1.047). My OG was 1.045 and it's gone down to 1.015, and still showing slow activity. My query is, should I fully expect my FG to hit 1.010 using this yeast? The only change I made to the original recipe was to add some biscuit malt (recipe used below). I'm sure a FG around 1.015-1.010 will be fine, just checking I shouldn't start thinking about upping the temp a bit to encourage further action. As I'm only 7 days into fermentation this is more of a general query rather than a panic about getting it to hit 1.010. Has anyone used this yeast before who can offer any info? Cheers.

For 12L BIAB method:

1.5kg Lager malt
647g Munich malt
240g Light crystal (150)
72g Choc malt
100g Biscuit malt

Hersbrucker hops (3%) at 60 (23g), 30 (10g) and 5 (5g) mins.
Profloc at 15mins.

Yeast - CML Hell.

As I have done for a previous brew, I added all light malts for 50 mins @ 64oC. I then upped the temp to 77oC for 10 mins, and then added the choc malt for 10 mins (@77oC).

Preboil gravity was 1.037 (temp adjusted), target was 1.039, and OG was 1.045 (target was 1.047).

I have used this yeast a couple of times and just done it the standard pitch it and leave it for 2 weeks. It was fine and attenuated down to 1.008 but my OG was not as high as yours. I did not do a D/rest on mine just so you know but I suppose it may help the last few points for you

I have used this yeast a couple of times and just done it the standard pitch it and leave it for 2 weeks. It was fine and attenuated down to 1.008 but my OG was not as high as yours. I did not do a D/rest on mine just so you know but I suppose it may help the last few points for you
Thanks for that. I may consider a d rest in a few days (say 18oC for 3 days) if it stops creaping down. Good to hear your feedback for this yeast. đź‘Ť

I brewed the CML Hansel Dunkel a while OG 1.045 FG 1.007 with it taking about 10 days total to hit FG (got down to about 1.015 very quickly then took about five days to stabalise at 1.007

Back