CML Kolsch Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Springwell19

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone any experience with this yeast? Does it really need the 8 weeks cold condition stated on the pack? Trying to get a brew ready for a party start of April.

I've seen a few threads on CML yeast mentioning this one but I'd be interested to hear if it drops clear in say 4 weeks or so.

Thanks acheers.

Great yeast for pseudo lagers and Kolsch, really does benefit from a few weeks cold conditioning - I crashed the beer below to 3° in the FV for a few weeks, then primed and bottled and left it in my custom build beer conditioning building (garage) at whatever temp it is this time of year for a few more weeks. Tastes great.

I think that it is a really good yeast, it gives subtle fruity and floral flavours. It does drop clear but remains a bit 'mobile' in the bottom of the bottle. Think you'll be fine with your timescales.

For the last couple of pseudo lagers I have done I have used bulldog steam lager yeast (B23). Clean, dry and crisp fermented at 14°c, and sticks to the bottom of the bottle like s**t to a blanket.

For the last couple of pseudo lagers I have done I have used bulldog steam lager yeast (B23). Clean, dry and crisp fermented at 14°c, and sticks to the bottom of the bottle like s**t to a blanket.
That’s good to know. I’ve always sworn by MJ M54 for my steam beers but ive got a pseudo Pilsner with it which is refusing to clear.

I just tested the fg of a kolsch brewed with this yeast...it's gone from 1044 to 1008,giving 4.7% and 81% attenuation. It tastes really good! I'll test again tomorrow and if it's settled I'll start cold crashing ..

I did a split batch of pale ales with the kolsh, real ale and us pale and the kolsh was the best. Here's some notes on it:

Tastes at bottling - Kolsh pretty good, almost a lager bite. Real Ale more fruity and estery. US Pale has that creamy taste like the weizen. It's my least favourite.

Later...
⦁ 8th March 12DAB - Hoppy burps, nice aftertaste - pub pint quality: yes.

⦁ 22nd March - It's got a lovely finish. It's almost like a lager - a Kronenbourg even. As time went on the hops started coming through. I couldn't name them but it was nice. It's pub worthy and would be smashed down at a barbeque.

DAB is days after bottling. I got 84% attenuation, 1.044 to 1.007 so good chance it's the same as Clint got but I was ****** when reading the hydrometer.

Last edited:
I just tested the fg of a kolsch brewed with this yeast...it's gone from 1044 to 1008,giving 4.7% and 81% attenuation. It tastes really good! I'll test again tomorrow and if it's settled I'll start cold crashing ..

Hi Clint, how long did you give your Kolsch in primary, and at what temp did you ferment it at? Mines has been going at 16degC for a week and a half or so.

I'm going to start increasing the temperature to 18 as a diacetyl rest, then cold crash as cold as it'll go until I'm back from holiday at the end of August.

I did a gallon AG kolsch with CML yeast last winter, fermented at 15-16°, no cold crash just did same as normal ale brewing. Came out ok and didn't last long, more like a good pale than a kolsch though, I thought I needed to cold crash next time. I found the bottle that got away last month and it was certainly as good as the cheaper kolsch's I got from Cologne in the Spring.

I'll leave mine until Sunday, raise the temperature to 19degC for a day or two, then get it as cold as I can and leave it until I'm back from my hols :)

I'm not going to take it off the trub, I've read a few articles that say it makes very little difference so I'm not going to risk infection by needlessly transferring to secondary.

Cheers all

I'm not going to take it off the trub, I've read a few articles that say it makes very little difference so I'm not going to risk infection by needlessly transferring to secondary.

I never do, and I can't say that I've experienced any problems doing so. athumb..

Back