CML Kristalweizen brewed at 39°c / 102f vs CML Voss Kveik

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
13th July 20 days bottled.

69 Elderflower wheat: voss at 39c. It's got more orange on the nose than elderflower and it's becoming really quite good - the sort of thing you'd have to hide at a party. It's still got bugger-all malt character but has stopped tasting like a fermented juice and It's more like a lager than a wheat . Orange smell, plink of elderflower first hit, then like dry orange peel on the tail, even slightly pithy.

I'm going to move a load of bottles to the keezidge to test lagered vs non-lagered.

69 KW@39c yeast swirled in - Softer and the citrus has moved. It's earlier and higher than the voss and rather than being like dried zest, approaching pith, it's more like the flesh of a late Christmas orange that's dried out slightly making it taste darker, like the orange in a bar of Old Jamaica. In fact it's really like the Mangrove Jack's Grapefruit IPA kit. Like that but better. Less harsh, less fake. That 25g of cascade at 10 minutes is still there in this and the voss. I really thought it would have been blown away up the chimney with that sub 36 hour ferment time.

As ridiculous as it sounds it's like when you get one of the craply stored bottles of the Sainsbury's American IPA, which is zingy when it's right but when it's not the hops get a haircut - like the music heard from club toilets. All bass, no treble. But it's far less dank and dead - somebody must be holding the door open.

Both leave your mouth slightly tacky, like you've finished a messy orange and are going "Where's my tea gone?" because you want a glug to clean up your yowler.

I like both. The voss is dryer and crisper, the kristalweizen wider and a little richer and shows a little more of the cascade.

Wait there, I'll double check and open another bottle of the voss@39c to check. Good to you I am....

Yep. Kristalweizen@39c wins. They're both getting good but the Kristalweizen is richer and brighter. Think the Christmas cake plump with fruit and raisins that your auntie Ruth makes vs the Christmas cake Jane makes that's fine as long as you've got a cup of tea to go with it that helps it along. Of course I mentally threw away the icing. Who actually likes that? Who? At least it's soft, not like the piped icing studs you get on weddiing cakes that you could turn into knuckle dusters or put into a blunderbuss to tatter the wings of a low-flying baron.

Ok... let's see how they taste in a few weeks.

Just bottled 15.5l of Raspberry Wheat with CML KW @39c. Tasting-wise of the daily samples, once the initial malty sweetness tailed off, it picked up a slight acid sharpness which developed into a slight lemony, citric acid thing. This has paired nicely with the raspberries, even the lady of the house has taken her first genuine interest in my beer in five years!
Primed to achieve 2.8 volumes (would have gone higher but havent bottle conditioned in years and dont have full confidence in some of the bottles) and managed to cram the bottles back in the chamber to condition at 39c.
Achieved FG in under 3 days with 73% attenuation and no apparent off flavours.
All credit to @Drunkula for inspiring the confidence to throw caution to the wind and behave utterly irresponsibly with the temperature control! 🍻

20200716-225319.jpg

Latest posts

Back