CML Timothy Taylor.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
After already brewed this kit from the very excellent CML, I decided to give it another go.
I foolishly bought a bottle of Landlord to compare against my previous attempt. Both served at garage temperature, bottle was lighter in colour and quite heavily carbonated compared against mine from a KK.
The brew sheet calls for a 90 minute mash and boil. If I reduce this to 60 minutes a piece how much will it effect the finished brew?
It’s going to sit and condition in the garage until at least autumn if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

The longer you mash for the more sugars you will release - i.e. your mash efficiency will be higher. Having said that most sugars are released early in the mash

Why reduce the time?

The other factor is temperature - higher temperatures produce more complex sugars

Mashing at about 65C will produce simple sugars that the yeast find easier to ferment into alcohol. However, you want some sugars remaining in there as that is what produces the taste - so I typically mash for an hour at 65C and then 30 mins at 68C - the higher temperatures produce more complex sugars which are less likely to be fermented and hence contribute to flavour

But that's just my view - I suspect others may disagree

To be honest cutting the mash/boil timings is a time saving exercise.
The brew sheet I have says
Mash @66 90 mins
Mash out @75 10 mins
By cutting half an hour off both I thought I’d lose some colour but wasn’t sure about taste, because that’s more important than colour.

Reducing the boil will lead to less water being boiled off, and thus a slightly weaker beer (probably by a litre or so across the whole batch). You could brew with slightly less water to compensate

What yeast do they supply with the kit? I have brewed this beer a lot from the Graham Wheeler recipes and correct yeast choice is imperative for this beer.

Midland is probably Nottingham which although is probably one of the better dried yeasts I can't see it being a good fit for Landlord. The Wyeast West Yorkshire yeast is reputed to be derived from Taylors yeast and I find the finished beer very close to Landlord. There was a video on one of the forums a few years back of Taylors head brewer going through their brewing process and it was a surprise that their sulphate/chloride ratio was chloride forward which tends to go against what is generally the norm for this style of beer but I have found it certainly makes the beer more like the original.

Back