Co-sour method

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braindead

Landlord.
Reaction score
Dipping my toes into brewing a sour.
Just been researching a lot and I've heard the Co Sour method is much better than the kettle sour.
Anyone any experience in this?

What do you mean by co sour, do you mean pitching the bacteria and yeast at the same time?

Yeah Steve
Been reading up heaps more on sours before dipping my toe.
I was going to do the Pre-souring (kettle sour) but after reading Sour beer - Modern Brewhouse wiki
I read some interesting info on Co-Sours .
Would you recommend this over keeping the wort at 35-40 and presouring.?

Does the Lallemand WildBrew™ Sour Pitch still sour and reduce the pH if pitched at 18 with my yeast.
Thx

I've done a few kettle sours and it works well if you can maintain the temp and then boil it when you are happy with the pH.

I did read about a Berliner Weisse where you splint the wort into 2 fermenters - K97 in one at 20 degrees and Lactobacillus into the other at 35 degrees. You then combine them once fermentation is complete and condition them together.

Never tried this but they say it makes for more predictable results.

I didn't have any problems with kettle souring.

I have kettle soured a few times with good results but apart from my long term sour beers like Flanders red and lambic I haven't tried the co-sour method. I wanted to keep the bacteria away from my equipment which is why I chose kettle souring but I suspect the co-sour method probably produces a better result. The Sour Pitch will still work at 18c but it'll probably take a bit longer.

Back