CO2 Again...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graz

Landlord.
Reaction score
My CO2 cylinder ran out, no big deal you would think aside from having a load of beer trapped in my Cornys... šŸ˜„

So first port of call, the place the cylinder came from, an Adams Gas stockist that happens to be a motor factors. No cylinders available, not sure when they can get one, but looking on the Adams Gas website they're not even listed as a stockist anymore, doesn't seem too promising. They did at least say I can have my deposit back when I return the cylinder. Where next?

Now before getting this one I did try a local place which seemed to not want to supply me a normal 6.35kg cylinder but they did have some cylinders that they said they did supply to homebrewers. It seemed to be smaller and the guy seemed unsure as to exactly how much gas was in one, also said you bought the cylinder outright and could then return it to them for refills. This seemed odd and also if they disappeared I'd have an expensive door stop.

So bit more Googling and found another place that could even deliver one to me for free (but not for ages as the pubs are closed) but they only offer a 3.15kg cylinder to home brewers and I was quoted nearly Ā£40 (inc VAT) for a refill + Ā£20 deposit. Seems a bit steep, pay more for half the amount of CO2.

Anyone in the Worcestershire area know where I can get a reliable supply of CO2 without paying over the odds? šŸ™‚

I got mine from JESP in Brierley Hill. They do deliver, but because of the lockdown, they are not making deliveries to pubs, so don't have many drivers working at present, so I decided to collect from their depot.

There are a few hobbyweld suppliers in the area - Hobbyweld Agent Locator | Home of Rent Free Gas Cylinders

Most do food grade CO2, and are around Ā£65 for cylinder deposit and Ā£35 per fill for 6.5kg cylinder, the prices seem to vary slightly between the suppliers but not a huge amount.

One of them happens to be one of the suppliers I mentioned that supplied their own cylinders for home brewers. Oh well might just have to go and have the conversation, maybe they've only recently started doing Hobbyweld.

I got mine from JESP in Brierley Hill. They do deliver, but because of the lockdown, they are not making deliveries to pubs, so don't have many drivers working at present, so I decided to collect from their depot.
Again the other one I mentioned. Seemed a bit steep price wise and would only offer a 3.15kg cylinder?

My CO2 cylinder ran out, no big deal you would think aside from having a load of beer trapped in my Cornys... šŸ˜„

So first port of call, the place the cylinder came from, an Adams Gas stockist that happens to be a motor factors. No cylinders available, not sure when they can get one, but looking on the Adams Gas website they're not even listed as a stockist anymore, doesn't seem too promising. They did at least say I can have my deposit back when I return the cylinder. Where next?

Now before getting this one I did try a local place which seemed to not want to supply me a normal 6.35kg cylinder but they did have some cylinders that they said they did supply to homebrewers. It seemed to be smaller and the guy seemed unsure as to exactly how much gas was in one, also said you bought the cylinder outright and could then return it to them for refills. This seemed odd and also if they disappeared I'd have an expensive door stop.

So bit more Googling and found another place that could even deliver one to me for free (but not for ages as the pubs are closed) but they only offer a 3.15kg cylinder to home brewers and I was quoted nearly Ā£40 (inc VAT) for a refill + Ā£20 deposit. Seems a bit steep, pay more for half the amount of CO2.

Anyone in the Worcestershire area know where I can get a reliable supply of CO2 without paying over the odds? šŸ™‚
It might be a bit too far for you but I picked up a 6.35kg bottle from Cellar Supplies in Stoke Orchard (just north of Cheltenham) a couple of weeks back for Ā£20.04 - no deposit needed.

Thanks all, I relented and decided to use the place most local. Ā£60 for the cylinder and then it would be Ā£24 for subsequent refills. Doesn't look quite as big as my current 6.35kg bottle but its not far off. I might weigh it now and then when it needs a refill to see how much gas I do get. I guessing they fill these themselves as there's no branding on it or anything. Doesn't seem to bad a deal anyway.

In case anyone else is looking for CO2 near Worcester this is them Domestic Gas & Commercial Gas Suppliers Central England | M&M Gases Also have outlets in Shrewsbury and Hereford.

It might be a bit too far for you but I picked up a 6.35kg bottle from Cellar Supplies in Stoke Orchard (just north of Cheltenham) a couple of weeks back for Ā£20.04 - no deposit needed.

Thanks, I'd seen them but the website said trade only. I know Stoke Orchard, I work in Tewkesbury, lived there and Cheltenham at various times. Would be fine to get a bottle from them were I not working from home at the moment. One to bear in mind for the future.

Thanks, I'd seen them but the website said trade only. I know Stoke Orchard, I work in Tewkesbury, lived there and Cheltenham at various times. Would be fine to get a bottle from them were I not working from home at the moment. One to bear in mind for the future.
Yeah the trade only bit put me off at first but I said I was a home brewer and no questions asked. If you need a contact, ask for Max. She's really helpful.
Good luck.

I ran out of CO2 recently (had been using soda stream gas). Luckily there wasnā€™t more than a couple of pints left in the corny so I blew them out with a bit of huff and puff. It got me thinking about oxidisation and other methods of beer delivery.
I know there are designs around for bladders and the like as a barrier to prevent oxygen contamination. As an experiment I decided to try gassing up my corny keg with a bicycle pump having poured about 100ml of olive oil on top of the beer just after kegging. Theory being that the oxygen canā€™t contaminate the beer with the oil acting as a barrier.
Anyone see a downside to this? The beer is pouring great. I get good agitation through delivery with a nice creamy head. Thereā€™s no gas in the beer obviously but no different to a hand pump/ beer engine.
Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back