Co2 alternative?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just did, superb!

Interesting point about permeability of oxygen and latex rubber, I'll check it out!

Cheers, Pete

Hi Buffers Brewery,
From what I have researched, latex rubber can be permeable to oxygen and latex rubber.
But modern advances have added phenols to the rubber that removes the problem. But a condom being streatched to the internal dimensions of a King keg are liable, possibly, to make it more permeable.
One positive consideration is that the pressure between the inside of the "bladder" and the outside when in the sealed barrel will be very slight.
I have no idea if alcohol or any other chemical in a brew would affect it, so it might be worth considering replacing it with each new batch.
This is all dependent on fabricating a fitting with a schrader valve that will keep the bladder gastight on the cap.
Should have a workable example by the weekend, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Pete

Apparently latex gloves are not adversely affected by alcohol but that relates to cleaning gloves with alcohol. Higher concentration of alcohol but shorter exposure time. As you say, a single use probably the safe bet.

Valves finally arrived after a long wait. Ordered two, paid for two, eight arrived!
Condom fitted to cap, all looking good. Still to fit the gauge and pressure relief valve also another schrader valve for testing.
Unfortunately, both my kegs are full and waiting for the beers to clear, so I think I need to get my hands on another King keg before testing.
To test, I'll fill the keg to just above the tap (bottom tap), then pressurise the bladder to 15psi. As the bladder fills, it will push air out of the keg's pressure relief valve. There will only be a slight pressure difference between the bladder and the keg.
I'll let you know how that goes when I get a keg or empty a current one.

Cheers, Pete
20200528_130015.jpg
20200530_172550.jpg
20200530_172601.jpg
20200530_172531.jpg

Valves finally arrived after a long wait. Ordered two, paid for two, eight arrived!
Condom fitted to cap, all looking good. Still to fit the gauge and pressure relief valve also another schrader valve for testing.
Unfortunately, both my kegs are full and waiting for the beers to clear, so I think I need to get my hands on another King keg before testing.
To test, I'll fill the keg to just above the tap (bottom tap), then pressurise the bladder to 15psi. As the bladder fills, it will push air out of the keg's pressure relief valve. There will only be a slight pressure difference between the bladder and the keg.

Cheers, Pete View attachment 26768View attachment 26770View attachment 26771View attachment 26772

I am genuinely frightened by this experiment. So wrong ashock1😂

Cheers, Pete View attachment 26768View attachment 26770View attachment 26771View attachment 26772
I am pretty sure you can buy the bags which are used in the American kegs, will make some inquiries. They just look like bog standard plastic bags but they could be different.

Lol, serious innovation going on here! ;) Should be easy enough to double them up (or triple seeing as they're mostly 3 packs). Might be worth checking if any water or central heating accumulators have bladders, I'm pretty sure most are just a bottle but there must be some that have them and they may be fairly low cost.

On a side note, would any of those accumulators work as kegs, the big fibre reinforced things? (They're kind of new to me, can post a pic if needed).

EDIT: Like the lager sizes here but maybe any of them suitable for drinking water would work with beer:
https://pumpexpress.co.uk/product-category/accessories/pressure-vessels/

Last edited:
Back