Co2 carbonating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sprocker

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collected my Cornys from BKT yesterday and looking forward to transferring my first brew to one of them as soon as fermentation is done.
I plan on carbonating with Co2 instead of priming sugar, but just wondered...does the lack of priming sugar change the taste at all?

Not that I’ve noticed.

However, I find that carbonating above 10psi can result in pouring out a glass of foam; which is why I tend to carbonate between 5psi and 10psi.

If I’m not desperate to drink a brew (and to reduce CO2 consumption), I add 5g of sugar to a 10 litre keg when transferring it from the FV.

The slight carbonation that this gives also stops the brew in the keg from going “off” even if it is left for up to 12 weeks.
:hat:

If anything I'd say it improves it. The action of priming and secondary fermentation creates more sediment yeast, in some beers such a German Weiss that is desired, but for the most part I want my beer to be clear and not taste yeasty. Also gives a lot more control as to exactly how carbonated you want your beer so it can easily be adjusted to suit your tastes.

Latest posts

Back