Co2 cost ££

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£50 bottle deposit then £10 a tank delivered. Or £15 for a fire extinguisher which i have to collect. £5 to buy the bottle.

This sounds like a great deal - can you let me know where you get your gas from BeerCat?

As the *OP* I suppose I should confirm my final choice.
I got my 6.35kg Co2 from Adams gas via a local supplier in Cardiff.
A bit of a battle with the supplier tried to get me to pay over £130! + vat.
I had to step outside and ring Adams gas direct.
Fair dues... Adams gas phoned the supplier straight away and put them straight on the price.
2nd problem was after I paid and after being told they had a 6.35kg in stock they tried to fob me off with a 3.15kg cylinder no' 6.35kg in stock after all).
End of story... that was yesterday, today I picked up from them the correct 6.35kg Co2 cylinder (labled food quality).
Adams gas price £55* +£20 both plus vat so £90✔ not the cheapest but there we go.
* = refundable on return.
N¡ck

Just getting back into homebrew and first time round I used 2kg out of date fire extinguishers and used to get refills for £5 in Birmingham. That place is no longer open. Got a quote today (near Wolverhampton) which was £20 deposit for the cylinder + £42 for 3kg, then £42 a refill.

Wow, that sounds a bit steep. I wonder has this always been the case with these guys or are they ripping the **** out of it because of the current lock-down?

In fairness, I pay £20 for re-fills but had to pay £60 for the tank. But over the space of time, your deal just gets worse and worse. My £20 also got me a 6.35k tank.

Could be the lockdown, you never know. Some of the other suppliers I've called have stated that they aren't operating at the moment, so maybe a shortage of operators, drivers furloughed etc.

Try Adams gas... they have independent suppliers all over the place.
(My local car motor parts factor turned out to be an Adams agent.)

Yes stress food grade.... apparently some Co2 has an oil content.
I wouldn't be happy if my local pub were to use welding screen gas as a carbination source.
See my March 10th post above for price breakdown.
N¡ck

Try Adams gas... they have independent suppliers all over the place.
(My local car motor parts factor turned out to be an Adams agent.)

Thanks for the heads up - Adams Gas quote £86 for deposit and refill for 6.35kg beverage co2, then £24 a refill, so I would presume the original deposit is circa £60 (matches up roughly with your figures from march 10th)

Hi Guys,
Have a look at my post: CO2 alternative?
If all goes to plan, I will have a system that does away with the need for CO2 altogether.
I'm still waiting for a valve to arrive via Ebay, when it comes and I get the parts put together, I'll report back with some photos.
Cheers, Pete

Im £65 deposit and £35 refill which is a bit steep but as a cylinder lasts about a year Im maybe paying £1-2 more per month than others on here. Im not going to get too worried about that, especially as the supplier is 10 mins away

Hi XOZZX,

I might end up going down the same road as you. But as I have not yet bought any CO2 equipment apart from the refillable bottle that screws onto the top of my King Kegs, now is a good time to experiment with a non CO2 system that hopefully will only cost me £15 to put together and free gas for life.
Just an experiment, but I'm confident it will work. Photos & report to follow if Ebay/Post Office ever get their act together and deliver my valves!

Cheers, Pete

I paid Adams gas (via agent) £55* + £20 both plus vat so £90 for a 6.35kg food grade Co2 cylinder. *£55 is the refundable cylinder deposit. March 2020 price.
N¡ck
BTW I had to involve Adams Gas as the agent initially added a bit of a markup.... Adams prices are national prices.

Hi XOZZX,

I might end up going down the same road as you. But as I have not yet bought any CO2 equipment apart from the refillable bottle that screws onto the top of my King Kegs, now is a good time to experiment with a non CO2 system that hopefully will only cost me £15 to put together and free gas for life.
Just an experiment, but I'm confident it will work. Photos & report to follow if Ebay/Post Office ever get their act together and deliver my valves!

Cheers, Pete
I'm intrigued to know what your planning Pete...

Back