Co2 cost ££

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicB

Reaction score
I phoned two suppliers in South Wales today and was quoted for a 6.35kg cylinder:-

(a) £55 deposit then £20/ refill both + vat
(b) £75 deposit then £15/ refill both + vat

How do these prices compare where you live?

I'll phone around again on Monday for better quotes.
N¡ck

Yer price for the gas is right ball park.

It's all about deposit, cylinder rentals or other costs.

After a lot of looking at options and shopping around, I managed to get a nice contract with west highland gas, I pay £17 for the gas and £2 month cylinder rental. Can pick up or get delivered same day.

Thanks I'm not sure of the politics/legallity/rules.
I thought about sourcing a used cylinder from say gumtree...but then I'd have to consider whether it was food grade or having a welding history. And if the cylinder is stamped with an owner who would take it in and then there is the testing Etc.
I'll have a chat with the local freehold landlord and see how he operates. I'm guessing he probably gets his gas from the beer wholesalers.
Anyone else got prices?
N¡ck

I thought about sourcing a used cylinder from say gumtree...but then I'd have to consider whether it was food grade or having a welding history. And if the cylinder is stamped with an owner who would take it in and then there is the testing Etc.
I'll have a chat with the local freehold landlord and see how he operates. I'm guessing he probably gets his gas from the beer wholesalers.
Anyone else got prices?
N¡ck
Little reading on "food grade"

https://www.micromatic.com/forum/us...ality/3675-food-grade-vs-industrial-grade-co2

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3u_rzk02pKyTXB1aKbno7v&cshid=1582961673204

Personally I'm fairly confident almost any CO2 is perfectly acceptable as long as it's connections are clean and not degrading,

Of course It's your decision what comes into contact with you and your beer.

Edit. Forgot the links, and a spelling

Last edited:
I phoned two suppliers in South Wales today and was quoted for a 6.35kg cylinder:-

(a) £55 deposit then £20/ refill both + vat
(b) £75 deposit then £15/ refill both + vat

How do these prices compare where you live?

I'll phone around again on Monday for better quotes.
N¡ck

Those quotes are good as in about average for large suppliers. I have two kegs that I force carbonate and a cylinder lasts over a year. Considering I'll get the deposit back then 20 quid a year is a bargain.

Anyone else got prices?
N¡ck

If you go down the route of buying a used cylinder then first make sure you've got somewhere that'll fill it for you and will still be around each year when you want a refill. The big suppliers won't touch any cylinder that's not their own.

Got mine from gasandhireltd who are in Chesterfield and Sheffield. 6.35kg air liquide CO2 bottle was £50 inc. VAT deposit but only 50% refund within first year then nothing after. Refills aren't bad though £16.20 inc VAT.
Talking to the landlord in my local last night and he said he pays around £8.00 and no deposit and he will get one for me.

For comparison, I get mine from a place near Great Yarmouth - was £100 deposit for the bottle, then £10 per fill - 6kg and a bit more. They are more than happy to work with homebrewers, and requested I bring a sample next time ;)

Those quotes are good as in about average for large suppliers. I have two kegs that I force carbonate and a cylinder lasts over a year. Considering I'll get the deposit back then 20 quid a year is a bargain.

If you go down the route of buying a used cylinder then first make sure you've got somewhere that'll fill it for you and will still be around each year when you want a refill. The big suppliers won't touch any cylinder that's not their own.
It is also illegal to sell CO2 Cylinders or Brewery Beer Kegs, When keg watch see them up for sale they will contact the seller and arrange collection from them or prosecute.

It is also illegal to sell CO2 Cylinders or Brewery Beer Kegs, When keg watch see them up for sale they will contact the seller and arrange collection from them or prosecute.
Its just illegal to sell what you don't own and since most kegs and casks are marked as being owned by a brewery and most breweries don't sell kegs keg watch will assume they are stolen.

Got mine from an Adams Gas stockist same as price (a).

I tried a local place, they wouldn't sell the pub cylinders to home brewers but did have some cylinder of their own creation that they did but would have to buy it outright. All well and good I thought but if they stop trading I'm left with a useless cylinder that I've spent £60 on. Said thanks but no thanks.

When i ran a bar i used to buy loads of gas,I suppose thats what these companys are looking for,(good customers)
Supplying to us homebrewers must be a loss leader for them.

[QUO(a) (...TE="Graz, post: 876389, member: 15195"]Got mine from an Adams Gas stockist same as price (a).

I tried a local place, they wouldn't sell the pub cylinders to home brewers but did have some cylinder of their own creation that they did but would have to buy it outright. All well and good I thought but if they stop trading I'm left with a useless cylinder that I've spent £60 on. Said thanks but no thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes (a) quote was from a franchised outlet of Adams Gas.

£60 for the bottle (6.35kg), £20 for the gas and £20 thereafter for refills. Think I got mine towards the ass end of 2018 and it hasn't needed refilled yet. I usually have at least one keg on the go.

Latest posts

Back