Co2 cost ££

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @xozzx,
Simply a bladder inside the King Keg that I can fill with air via a schrader valve.
As the pressure in the keg, from the secondary fermentation drops as I drink the brew, I replace it with air. The bladder will not be under any real pressure as it will only be equalising the pressure inside the keg. There will be a very slight pressure differential to inflate the bladder, possibly 1/2psi so not much chance of air leaking into the brew.
I needed a bladder that could expand to the size of the King Keg and a condom should do the job fine. You can get five gallons of water in one before they fail and I went for a"extra safe" model! 😂
The mechanics of getting one to seal is quite simple. I have a sealing ring fabricated that will seal on the O ring at the end of the condom and a valve fitting that will clamp the ring onto my modified King Keg cap.
Still waiting for the valve to arrive, will post some photos as soon as it does.
Here is a photo of the ring and condom and the half finished cap.
The cap will have two schrader valves fitted, one to inflate the bladder and one to pressurise the keg for testing purposes. I will also fit a guage and pressure relief valve.

Cheers, Pete

Attachments

• 1590667264192878354282.jpg
    1590667264192878354282.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 15906673809761763405783.jpg
    15906673809761763405783.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 95
I opened an account with Energas this week , collected my first gas bottle yesterday
They call it a mini but looks like a standard pub c02 size bottle so I guess 6.35 kg
£ 2.50 a month rental & approx £10.50 refill
The cheapest deal I could find in South Derbyshire

so hopefully my first kegging will go well at the weekend

2 kg inc cilinder: €74.95, refill €19.95.
Netherlands, but ought to give an idea.

If it lasts a year, the costs are reasonable.

Im £65 deposit and £35 refill which is a bit steep but as a cylinder lasts about a year Im maybe paying £1-2 more per month than others on here. Im not going to get too worried about that, especially as the supplier is 10 mins away

Yes, convenience is very underestimated imho.

I opened an account with Energas this week , collected my first gas bottle yesterday
They call it a mini but looks like a standard pub c02 size bottle so I guess 6.35 kg

Screenshot_20200528-193937.jpg

Did Energas mention anything about food grade Martin? Interesting that, on the main applications, is both welding and drinks dispense/carbonation. There's a depot in Smethwick which isn't too far so might be viable for me

View attachment 26659
Did Energas mention anything about food grade Martin? Interesting that, on the main applications, is both welding and drinks dispense/carbonation. There's a depot in Smethwick which isn't too far so might be viable for me
I was totally open with the sales guy what I was using it for and this is what they recommended
Pure c02 ,
There are too many options with their mixed gases for me to understand

due to Covid I had to set the account up over email so may pay you to call them

I was totally open with the sales guy what I was using it for and this is what they recommended
Pure c02 ,
There are too many options with their mixed gases for me to understand

due to Covid I had to set the account up over email so may pay you to call them
I just did a quick search and this is what I found

Currently, the FDA's requirement for food-grade CO2 a 99.90% purity rating. ... Industrial grade CO2 is 99% pure

I just did a quick search and this is what I found

Currently, the FDA's requirement for food-grade CO2 a 99.90% purity rating. ... Industrial grade CO2 is 99% pure

Thanks Martin - on the Energas website, it lists the main applications of co2, then if you click on it, it does list the individual mixes for different purposes. I'll be contacting them for some pure co2 too, thanks for the help.

Energas update: spoke to sales rep, it's the Derby branch that refills the co2 tanks, so it's supply only from that branch. Good deal if you live near Derby!

Those of you who use old fire extinguishers, is there anything else I need (other than a regulator).. presumably you just press the squeeze trigger when you want gas? Or can you swap it out for a tap somehow?
I've just scored free CO2 cylinders from a fire extinguisher supplier, which pleases me greatly as I'm sick of paying £30+vat for gas!

wow sounds like their **** deals. I pay £20 for a full 6.5kg of CO2 from T and J installations. they deliver and its normally next day. when its done i give them 20 more and they come and exchange. no rental costs. they are awesome. If you use them please mention Keith and this forum.

https://www.tandjinstallations.com/

wow sounds like their s**t deals. I pay £20 for a full 6.5kg of CO2 from T and J installations. they deliver and its normally next day
I had a look on their website which states
"We supply our gas through The BOC Group and Air Liquide, who provide beverage grade carbon dioxide for carbonation of soft drinks in fountain applications and to enhance presentation and taste of draught beer. Their range of carbon dioxide / nitrogen mixtures offer advantages in both presentation and operating efficiency over pure carbon dioxide."

Wondering how they are able to do £20 per fill without rental charges since both AL and BOC charge monthly rental on their cylinders.
Are you in Tamworth where they are based? I doubt they would deliver to other locations and we would need to pay the standard BOC/AL prices.

Hi

Please could I have the contact details for these as I'm having a bit of a mare sorting gas in South Derbyshire.

Cheers 🍻

I phoned two suppliers in South Wales today and was quoted for a 6.35kg cylinder:-

(a) £55 deposit then £20/ refill both + vat
(b) £75 deposit then £15/ refill both + vat

How do these prices compare where you live?

I'll phone around again on Monday for better quotes.
N¡ck

Gas Link Wales do the 6.35Kg for £75 refundable deposit and £18 for the gas and subsequent refills. Which it seems is your (b) quote.

I had a look on their website which states
"We supply our gas through The BOC Group and Air Liquide, who provide beverage grade carbon dioxide for carbonation of soft drinks in fountain applications and to enhance presentation and taste of draught beer. Their range of carbon dioxide / nitrogen mixtures offer advantages in both presentation and operating efficiency over pure carbon dioxide."

Wondering how they are able to do £20 per fill without rental charges since both AL and BOC charge monthly rental on their cylinders.
Are you in Tamworth where they are based? I doubt they would deliver to other locations and we would need to pay the standard BOC/AL prices.
Find that strange myself as I pay £3.96 monthly rental to BOC Suregas and its around £35 a refill which has been about 14 months since my last as I had a leak previously and that's a 6.35kg cylinder.

Find that strange myself as I pay £3.96 monthly rental to BOC Suregas and its around £35 a refill which has been about 14 months since my last as I had a leak previously and that's a 6.35kg cylinder.

I dont know how they do it, but they do. Give them a try they are very good.

I use BOC gas and gear shop because there's no other supplier anywhere near, I think the 6.4Kg bottle is £30 roughly and £4 a month rental. Not cheap.

Back