CO2 cylinder orientation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_S

Reaction score
Does the cylinder have to be upright whilst serving or can it be laid horizontally. I have a 6.3kg cylinder and upright it protrudes over the sofa, so thinking of laying it flat behind the sofa as well as securing it in place.

Hmm.... there's liquid in the cylinder and I'm not sure you're supposed to have that butting up against the valve when it's open. I could be wrong though.

The only reason I ask was when I was collecting it, another chap also had a few and ask if they could be laid down. The guy serving him said it was fine. Probably only when valve is closed and being transported though.

Foxbat is right. With the gas bottle lying on its side the liquid co2 will flow out and get in your regulator. Not good that. You might get away with it but 99 times out of 100 it'll wreck the regulator.

Cheers. Tom

Thanks guys, just needed confirmation, will have to disguise it somehow, unless I can get small 2kg cylinder? that can sit in the holder on the rear of the unit

I have mine lying on its side with the regulator vertical, never had a problem. If you are worried could you lie it down but prop it up at the regulator end so the liquid won't get near to it?

You can get shorter 6kg tanks too. I have one that is shorter and wider than the normal 6kg size. Mine come from thebeerandgasman in the midlands.

The midlands is a hell of a trek for me just for gas supplies, and if they did deliver it probably wouldn’t be cost effective. A 6kg refill is only £18 local to me

Some creative decorations to hide it will have to do or a more drastic approach is to get rid of the other half 🤣

You could lie it flat with the regulator end raised a foot or so, to prevent the liquid CO2 from entering the regulator. Advisable to keep it upright though.

The midlands is a hell of a trek for me just for gas supplies, and if they did deliver it probably wouldn’t be cost effective. A 6kg refill is only £18 local to me

Some creative decorations to hide it will have to do or a more drastic approach is to get rid of the other half 🤣

Ask your supplier if they do other sizes. If I remember right mine is an "AF" size. The normal ones are "LF" size. I think. both of the 6.35kg capacity but totally different dimensions.

Failing that put a latex mask and a hat on the top of your cylinder and pretend you have a new lodger in the house.

Should have checked before asking, just got the cylinder in an upright it doesn’t protrude above the top of the kegerator, so I’ve slid it into the corner and hidden it behind a pot plant she had there. Can hardly be seen now 😀

Latest posts

Back