CO2 For Corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smileyr8

Impressive Member
Reaction score
I have hummed and arred for quite a while about buying a Corny, I have now finally bit the bullet and bought one.

What I need to know is what's the best (most cost effective/practicle) method for carbonation? CO2 capsules, Hambelton Bard S30 or a Sodastream setup?

I also could do with some advice about regulators where to get them from again for what's cost effective and what works.

It might also be worth considering that in the future I plan to to get another keg should the experience be enjoyable and worthwhile.

I would say you need a decent sized CO2 bottle rather than the smaller Hambleton Bard type. You may have to search around to find a local supplier but someone like Hobbyweld do supply them and have quite a few distributers around the country. The one I got was about £60 for the initial outlay but no rental charges.

You will need a requlator, I have reused an CO2 Mig welding one I had lying around although lots of Homebrew shops also sell them. And you will need the hoses and fittings to connect to the corny. Again home brew shops like Stonehelm sell a selection and should have what you want.

Just had this dilemma, and looked at the portable CO2 charger advertised on ebay. After going onto another forum, I was dissuaded from this, (too expensive in the long run), and told to get a proper CO2 bottle. £70 later I got a 6.5Kg bottle of CO2, gas regulator, tubing, and connectors. Set up now, and the gas should last a long time. If your looking at this kind of set up seek out a local hydroponics shop, I got a 6.5 kg bottle for £20 no deposit. The rest of the kit purchased from the Malt Miller. Good luck.

I decided against the smaller CO2 cylinders as I plan on using mine a lot and I didn't want to run out half way through force carbing a batch! Plus, it works out cheaper in the long run buying bulk. I have the Hobbyweld 6KG cylinder:

http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/products/carbon-dioxide/

Think refills are about £20-£25 but hopefully it'll be a couple of years before required. No rental charges as previously mentioned.

My gauges I bought from the LHBS. I didn't want to use a mig welding gauge and wanted something with a very clear PSI scale so I could easily set them for 2-4 PSI, 10 PSI or 30PSI very accurately.

These were ready set-up for me with all connecting hoses, blow of valves etc. and there were two gauges - extra safety I was told (extra expense too!). One connects directly to the cylinder via hose, the other to my corny. I'm happy with them but the MIG ones are clearly usable too.

Connections wise, as I got my corny from the Malt Miller, he has a page listing all the connections you need. I picked them up here. I also picked up the party tap but I'd avoid that as the hose size is wrong (read - pints of foam!) - I now need to order more hose <sigh>

I basically have two set-ups I can switch between (John Guest push fit / quick release connectors). I have my 'chuck' key for force carbing 2L PETS and I have a separate hose with my push fit for the corny. Takes seconds to switch.

I'm glad I've invested in the corny and gear and like wise will probably expand this I the near future. Already looking at:

• Another corny
  • CO2 serving dispenser (takes 16g catridges)
  • Insulating corny keg sleeve with freezer gel packs
The above set-up is to give me a mobile rig for next years BBQ's or partys etc. No rush, don't have the extra cash for it at the moment either so, just looking for now.

Anyway...............

Hope that's of some use to you - good luck :drink:

Dads_Ale, Orval62 and baggybill thanks for your replies and taking the time, I have a co2 supplier about 20-30 miles away CO2-Gas Yorksire they charge £57.50 which includes a fill of gas, but the bottle only has a 5 year test, I suppose the question I need to ask is how many corny's is that likely to service?

> but the bottle only has a 5 year test...

That's the max, it's as new. Worse case scenario and you have to bin it in 5 years... well that's ~£1 a month down the drain :-/ Just compare that to the price of Sodastream cylinders <gasp>

How long will it last? A good couple of years I was told, if not more.

Once I got mine home, I let it sit in my garage for 24hrs to adjust to temp, then I weighed it. There's 6 kilos of gas in it (approx.) so when I've used 5.5ish, I'll get it exchanged/filled. I'll check it a year from now :-D

If you get multiple corny's and are using it heavy, weigh it once a month to put your mind at ease.

shop around a bit more if i were you, your buying a bottle for £60 with a 5 year life, generally you put a deposit on a bottle and simply exchange it for a new full one for a refil charge and the bottle maintenance is the responsibility of the distributer..

with a single corny your looking at upto a couple of years use from a full bottle assuming no leaks/mishaps, at least a year..

boc will probably want you to sign up for a contract and regular fee, avoid that too, i use air liquide suppliers, i found one a few miles away that dont charge a deposit on the bottle (andover patio centre) bit too far for you?? so shop arround a bit more still. iirc there is a co2 supplier post/sticky do a search..

imho look for a less than £50 bottle deposit and expect £15-£25 charge to refill..

shop around a bit more if i were you, your buying a bottle for £60 with a 5 year life, generally you put a deposit on a bottle and simply exchange it for a new full one for a refil charge and the bottle maintenance is the responsibility of the distributer..

Hello Everyone, Just a quick one...
The Hobbyweld Food Grade Carbon Dioxide cylinder has a 10 year test, we look after the maintenance of the cylinders and there is absolutely no time limit on how long you have one for.

If you have a cylinder which goes out of test - it's nothing to worry about.

Cylinders can be used after the test date, located on a coloured ring around the cylinder valve, the ring is just a reminder to the manufacturer that the cylinder cannot be refilled after that date. (This goes for any cylinder you purchase whether or not it is a Hobbyweld cylinder)

Hope this bit of advice is useful :-D

Happy Brewing and Have a Great Christmas! :cheers:

The Hobbyweld Team

Rotherham Hydroponics does the medium bottle's think he charges £25 for first bottle and the £15 exchange

have to say the chuck key is a great idea. i use one very regularly to force carb beer in 2lte pet bottles. i even use it now to make soda water. cart speak highly enough of this method to get nicely carbonated, sediment free beer. oh and i use a co2 fire extinguisher. find them very cheap on ebay if you keep a look out. regulator screws straight on.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZSax1boZR8[/ame]

Back