Co2 gas cylinder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BROADE

Reaction score
Finally moving to a corny keg and my kegarator will soon be complete. As well as my apa. I notice these cylinders are different for different styles of drinks. I do normally brew. Lager, ipa, and ciders. Recommendations on which I should buy
Screenshot_20211115_213542_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211115_213536_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thanks. 100% don't come as an option under drinks section. Boc is probably 1 of only places I found that is near me.

Thanks. 100% don't come as an option under drinks section. Boc is probably 1 of only places I found that is near me.
It's under the CO2 section but because of the national shortage BOC aren't taking on new customers at the moment. Same is unfortunately true for some other suppliers.

I have a 6.35kg bottle, it normally costs £24 for a refill, i think it cost about £80 deposit for a full bottle.
If you have room for a 6.35kg bottle, it will last ages so an hrs trip isn't to bad.

I have a 6.35kg bottle, it normally costs £24 for a refill, i think it cost about £80 deposit for a full bottle.
If you have room for a 6.35kg bottle, it will last ages so an hrs trip isn't to bad.

think I paid 120 inc delivery for a 6.35kg one on eBay from Adam’s gas

Make sure you use a supplier that doesn’t charge a monthly rental on the cylinder. I seem to remember that was the problem with BOC when I looked at them.
Personally I have found the AirLiquide agents are good if you’ve got one in your area that carries CO2 (there’s a list on their website)

All as above. The majority of us only use CO2 for our kegs, it's just simpler as it works for pretty much everything. The mixed gas cylinders need different regulators. Avoid BOC as they don't do rent free cylinders and the rental cost is significant. Google cellar / beer gas near me as you'll often find someone local who'll be supplying pubs and so on round the area and may well be able to sort you out with a cylinder. Also try: Hobbybrew | Quality Beers Deserve Quality Bubbles

Can't say I've used the above but seem to have quite a few agents around. I have used Adams gas which were good until my local supplier (a motor factors) stopped dealing with them.

Make sure you use a supplier that doesn’t charge a monthly rental on the cylinder. I seem to remember that was the problem with BOC when I looked at them.
Personally I have found the AirLiquide agents are good if you’ve got one in your area that carries CO2 (there’s a list on their website)
I found my local BOC dealer incredibly unhelpful, and my local AirLiquide stockist didn’t want to deal with me because I wasn’t a tradesman.

I ended up going with Hobbyweld as they were just about the only ones willing to deal with me who have a dealer nearby, and there’s another dealer about 45mins away (who are actually the ones is got my initial cylinder from).

All done. I had gas at about 15psi. Left it all day. Can't find any leaks. Turned gas off over night and pressure has gone today when turned gas back on is this normal

Attachments

• IMG-20211120-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20211120-WA0006.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20211120_100249.jpg
    IMG_20211120_100249.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20211120_095314.jpg
    IMG_20211120_095314.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 19
I signed up for a hobby brew cylinder 10 days ago. Very helpful. £70 initial payment + £29.94 for the gas. Had to drive 1.5hrs for it, but won’t need a refill for a couple of years.

All done. I had gas at about 15psi. Left it all day. Can't find any leaks. Turned gas off over night and pressure has gone today when turned gas back on is this normal
Yes it's normal. That head pressure has been absorbed into your beer to carbonate it. Turn the gas back on and leave for a week or two.

Yes it's normal. That head pressure has been absorbed into your beer to carbonate it. Turn the gas back on and leave for a week or two.
Leave it on all the time. I turned off gas just to make sure I didn't wake up to a empty cylinder

Leave it on all the time. I turned off gas just to make sure I didn't wake up to a empty cylinder
If you're nervous about leaks then you can force-carbonate quicker by gassing up the keg to a higher pressure and rolling it around a bit to dissolve the CO2. I'll leave the explanation of the pressure needed and other details to others because I personally do the 'set and forget' method.

The tap on fridge don't seem to pull a pint as good as the 1 on the keg. I have tried adjusting flow tap and no better. Beer line is only about 60-70cm
IMG_20211119_200659.jpg
IMG_20211121_144557.jpg

Latest posts

Back