CO2 Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevor Clacher

Reaction score
I’m converting from bottles to corny kegs and have decided to go down the route of kegs through a maxi chiller and then into pumps.

I’ve no idea what to about the co2 though. I’ve been online but haven’t got a clue about what size cylinder to get, how tall they are (as I’ve got about 36 inches to play with for a cylinder and a regulator in terms of height), how long it takes to carbonate beers, ciders etc. And at what pressure.

Can someone give me some advice please?

A 6.35kg cylinder will give you probably a year's worth of use for force carbonating & dispensing, depending on how much you brew. They stand about 85cm tall, the regulator comes out horizontally, so that's about 34 inches tall in total. I usually force carbonate at 30psi for 12 hours, then drop it to 7-10psi for dispensing. Also use the CO2 for pressure transferring, so that uses a little more gas.

It's generally most economical to get a 6.35 kg bottle if you can, and it sounds like you have the space. I know there seems to be a lot of regional variation in pricing from the different suppliers though. I found mine through a local brewing group. The supplier is local and charges £16.50 per refill. It's a hefty deposit for the bottle, but that's refundable and there's no rental charge.

That is an excelent price £16.50 a refill for 6.35kg.Where in berks can you get it at that price? i just paid £24.

Latest posts

Back