CO2 in King Keg at start of secondary fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerdad

Reaction score
I transferred 36 pints of Munton's Directors into my King Keg 4 days ago. The previous batch I used the KK for (Festival Landlord) was quite flat from the start (I reprimed it and suspected a leaky seal so I've fitted new o ring, put vaseline around the seal.) For this new batch, I've also added a pressure gauge to the KK lid. After transferring the batch to the KK, I added a CO2 bulb to check for leaks, but didn't release the pressure. It has stayed at about 8psi since. Is there a risk that the CO2 bulb forced the oxygen through the beer and could spoil the brew or will the oxygen in the pressure barrels have been forced out through the pressure release valve by the CO2? Any thoughts gratefully received!

Before I started doing closed transfer with my King Kegs I just ran the beer from the FB into the primed keg with no issues. After a couple of brews I started to fit the cap loosely and give it a squirt of CO2 before tightening the lid down. I doubt if all the air was purged but still had no problems. So to answer your question I think you'll be alright. If you've pressurised the keg after filling it and primed with sugar the pressure should increase and "blow" the relief valve as it carbonates. Keep it at fermentation temperature for a couple of weeks before conditioning..... and drinking :beer1:

Thanks, it’s on a heat mat anyway so I’ll see how it tastes before I move it somewhere cooler in a week or so. I made this kit same time last year and it was one of the best I’ve done after a 4 week wait in the PB so fingers crossed!

I’m sure it’ll be fine. With a normal bitter small amounts of oxygen are less of a problem than they would be with pale ales or heavily hopped exotica. That said, it’s best to make sure the keg is reasonably well-filled in order to minimise the headspace :-)

Latest posts

Back