co2 leak via regulator?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I carbonated my latest brew to 15psi over a couple of weeks and went away on holiday. Came back and checked 3 weeks later and the pressure had dropped to. Zero.

Gave it a blast of 40psi and speed with buffalo leak detector all over connections and seals etc but no apparent leak.

The gas was connected whilst away but switched off. Could the gas have escaped via gas line and the regulator?

Any ideas anyone?

Thing is it was carbed over two weeks, at 15psi @6c, so the beer should have absorbed in already. 3 weeks after those 2 weeks no pressure in keg. If you pull the prv, nothing.

Sounds like all the co2 was absorbed into the beer, thats why you had zero reading.You need to leave the gas on so the co2 can saturate your beer to your psi setting.

how long does this take, having a similar issue. Kegged my very first batch into a corny this evening at 12psi and it was at 0 a couple hours later, is this just something you have to keep an eye on because I see no obvious leaks

how long does this take, having a similar issue. Kegged my very first batch into a corny this evening at 12psi and it was at 0 a couple hours later, is this just something you have to keep an eye on because I see no obvious leaks
Did you shut the gas off? You must leave it on for the couple of weeks that the beer is carbonating and conditioning.

You may well have a very small leak from somewhere in the gas system (I am assuming here that the beer was carbonated before you switched the gas off).
If you disconnect the keg and then pressure the system and turn off at the cylinder you should see a drop in the regulator gauges over time if you have a leak. Double check the connection to the cylinder is still tight as these can loosen off a bit over time.

Latest posts

Back