Co2 or 60/40 for crispier IPA's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fezzer

Reaction score
Got my Cornys connected to 70/30 as I like mainly bitters, stouts and ales, thought this would do all the lot but the Nitrogen is making my IPA'S a bit too creamy and missing that crisp bite. So I'm going to buy another gas bottle. Would you recommend plain Co2 or mixed 60/40. Both same price from my supplier. Cheers

You will need a different regulator for CO2 to 70/30 I think. Somebody else will probably confirm that

Nitrogen suppresses flavour - not what you want in an IPA - or in any beer for that matter
Cheers, didn't know that but I think that's whats doing my ipas. They're still full of flavour but I'm just lobbing loads of hops in and I reckon I'd not need to if it's on Co2, plus loads of flavour disappearing after a week on Nitrogen. Thought I'd made mi mind up with 60/40 but think I'm gunna go straight Co2

"Nitro" and those whipped ice-cream heads needs frigid temperatures (4C?) and pipe-busting pressures (32-35PSI). Otherwise "mixed gas" (Nitro) is great for pushing beer long distances without "over-carbonating" ... not relevant for home-brew. Save your money and use pure CO2.

Latest posts

Back