Co2 or Beverage Gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillyman

Reaction score
Hi All

Fairly new to brewing here but want to know if there is a big difference in straight Co2 and Beverage Gas which looks to be a 50/50 split of C02 and Nitrogen.

I've just got my first Corny Keg which came with a mini Reg and Co2 Capsules. So was looking at replacing this with a 5litre bottle to Carb my beer with.

Thanks
Craig

For most applications you want pure CO2

Nitrogen mixes are good for stout and a few other things but in general just go with the CO2.

Thanks for that, I'll have a look round the Manchester/Warrington area for a supplier.

Hi guys, can I just add to this and ask how much CO2 I’d roughly need over the course of running three full Corni kegs filled with ale? For instance, would a soda stream sized CO2 bottle be enough or do I need a bigger supply? I appreciate your help,

Cheers,

Daryll

Hi guys, can I just add to this and ask how much CO2 I’d roughly need over the course of running three full Corni kegs filled with ale? For instance, would a soda stream sized CO2 bottle be enough or do I need a bigger supply? I appreciate your help,

Cheers,

Daryll
All depends how quickly you turn over your kegs, I can't really comment on the soda stream ones, but a full size (6kg) would last you probably a few months to a year I would think.

Cheers,

Daryll
According to reddit there is just 410g of CO2 in a sodastream cylinder. Compare that to 6.3kg in a 'real' CO2 cylinder. With 3 corny's on the go you'll empty a sodastream cylinder in no time at all. A 6.3kg cylinder should get you 20+ corny's depending on how much you carbonate, whether you use gas for cleaning, whether you purge with CO2, how bad your leaks are, etc, you get the point....

@Gillyman Did you find a CO2 supplier in the Manchester/Warrington area? My situation is almost identical to yours and I am now in need of a proper gas cylinder.

I have a spare pub gas cylinder you can have but I'm across in Humberside. Then you'd have to know a pub that stocks the same brewery gas to exchange it or a gas supplier to refill it. It's a bit rusty but would clean up.

Latest posts

Back