CO2 regulator gas fitting broken, help please.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys n girls,
Bit of a fettle today, not sure to fix things as my brain isn't too good with the weather change!lol.
Anyways, not to confuse or woffle.
manage to get a brew in the corni, put 30psi in.
As you may know the reg doesn't work properly.
The bloody gas fitting from reg snapped.
As I haven't spares, I need your help to do two things:
1. keep the brew in the corni, and get your help to come up with a better fittings than the John Guest fittings (as you can imagine one handed bloody hard doing the fittings on n off to clean etc.
2. Back into the SS FV, as still brew in there for a few bottles. Bottle once settle.

i'm really not liking the experience of the whole co2 corni, tap n stuff.
At least with bottling I know the crack...its imprinted on my tiny mind...with co2 setup confusing time n time again. Even writing the diameters etc still confusing me...lol.

if anyone has links and show me the operations, I'll be really grateful as you know I suffer from using brain power.
Hope this make sense….(prob not! reckon clint would kna my woffle and few regulars lol)
Knackerd fitting
T3gR0FM.jpg

Reg fitting snapped.
ZPjIqp3.jpg

Thanks all,
of for a lye down now hahaha!!
Bri

From what I can see … I've had two of those fittings break on me recently which was a reason for switching to some metal fittings (you can see them on this piccie - if I'm right your broken fitting is the same as used on many threaded corny disconnect posts):

20180317_091052_WEB.jpg

So that thread you show (if I'm still right at figuring out your piccie) is 1/4" MFL so you need a 1/4" FFL fitting (these "flare", or "FL", fittings are described as "male" or "female" - "M" or "F"). Or if having trouble with 1/4" "flare" (MFL and FFL) then 7/16" JIC is the same thing (not a typo - it does my head in too). "JIC" comes in 37 and 45 degree "cones" but I've always used 37 degree 'cos that's all I could get and I think they are inter-changeable at low-pressures (30psi is low pressure in this case).

See if you can nick a JG one off a Corny disconnect, and I can look up what you need for later (https://www.contextpneumatics-catalogue.co.uk/ Part no. 2BJ0407 for the one in the piccie).

HI M8,
just taking all this on board....ashock1
TBH Clingon but in time i'll grasp what is the crack.
Thank you so much for taking time to reply, really appreciate it .
Obviously a better setup for me, not fanny in on with JG fittings that last weeks.
The prob is one handed, for dis connect for cleaning etc its fraught with heavy handing (pardon the pun!)
Then bloody grey parts (fiddly with only one hand) on the JG that supposed to pull up and the line comes off!!!! sometimes I have to spray them...
Beer in any fittings when dry is harder than a SAS Sgt Major.
DWgNiWc.jpg

Bloody hate them lol.
Bri

Better pic of what I'm babbling about (sorry they are "pin-lock" disconnects, but the "ball-lock" ones are the same):
20181222_192622.jpg

Shows the JG fitting on (and off) a disconnect that I think might be the same as you've broken (if you unscrew any be careful, the blasted things break as soon as you look at them). The metal fitting (with 7/16" JIC thread, 37 degree "cone") is what I use now. They are a bit harder to break! But this metal fitting has a 1/4" BSPP male thread on the other side which suits me but you may want something different (there's loads of options). Price £1.64+VAT - but postage will be steep if it's all you buy.

(EDIT: Note the PTFE tape on the disconnect for sealing - that is stupid, that is the job of the "cone". But any excuse to call myself stupid o_O )

Last edited:
hi guys,
at late at nite my heed is smashed hahaha!!! I look at in the morn with fresh pair of eyes and maybe my battered brain can cope!
TBH im totally not favn of the JG dis connect (they are the ball lock ones , both gas n beer.
Seems like a PITA every time I use the set up.
Hence i'm onto my second attempt with the corni's...ohhh three times.
Every time, with fanny in on with one hand and getting p'd off, went back to bottling.
After 36 years brewing its what I know.
Happy tbh with my decision.
So maybe a keezer, tank, corni etc (cheap-ish) is up for grabs in the new year.
Feel ive hit aheadbutt
For now, put it oot of my mind and enjoy Xmas etc.
Have a belter one everyone.athumb..acheers.:cheers3:
Bri

After thought guys,
I went into Homebrewing to enjoy the buzz, and learn.....this whole Co2 kegerator etc is making me unhappy.
Time to think...………………………………………..maybe itll take a long time lol.
Bri

Hiya Bri..
I currently bottle and got a couple of plastic kegs. Kegging is way easier but one seems a bit dicky...bottling is a pita but you can chuck a few in the fridge...
It's a bit of a palaver...I think I want to go Cornie ..keg it quick and have it all chilled. Sounds great! Keep with your system....there will be a simple solution.

Morning guys,
Had a **** nites kip!
But as promised, fresh pair of eyes to look at the options!aheadbutt
The more I look at the JG setup, I want to actually pack in....don't enjoy my whole Co2 corni, kezzer or my first kegerator one little bitaunsure....
TBH it may be a PITA as Clint said but for 36 years its was part n parcel....and to be honest I enjoyed the experience (nearly got part way on the whole operation, know what I mean)
So over xmas i'll really think about the co2 setup.
ok apart from spending money to get this far, shaved loads of time.
But once a bottle is matured (if I every got them that far!) it was more satisfying and just pour a pint from a tap!
Clint how far is your place from Newcastle??? lol if you want 1st dibs of the whole setup.
Mind I have to talk to BearedMag (Kiris) if he wants it...(he did have the corni, tank first for the kegerator I selt him lol)
Anyways,
Off to pick the Bairn up for Xmas and chill and and have a few shandys with my school day pals.
so, enjoy your break, and enjoy.
Bri acheers.:beer1::cheers3:;)

This is the part you are looking for (i think) Bri http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338413729&icep_item=231658373440

Don't give up it will get easier.

Don't give up!!
hahaha!! third time with the whole co2 setup over the years...
Every time it wasn't enjoyment TBH.
As you know i'm a motivated, determined so n so! but comes a time if the fun goes...….go back to what I know and enjoy myself AGAIN!!!
I actually eat,sleep, Homebrew hobby :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8: ok went cold with other hobbies getting in the way.
Doesn't help that i'm not supposed to Drink coz of my codition, and the meds......but one or two wont harm.
Kepp saying it after 36 years i'm still buzzing, research, recipe making, brewing, and just enjoying my little peace of relaxation.
Reet! as they say up here...…
Off driving.
sorry for my wofle lol.
UiqdhZa.jpg

Bri

I reckon your solution is to stop doing it one handed and coax up a few extra hands with some promise of free beer!
I can only imagine ffin about with those JG guys is a pain. Also i just broke my regulator just when a mate came over. Certainly a lot of opportunities for things to go wrong at first, but once your system is settled it really is much easier, especially when you have a couple taps in the kitchen...
Just think of all the trips to the bottle bank you'll save!

Back