Coconut in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've just been chatting to a reasonably new microbrewery who had a stall in my local shopping centre today and bought a few of their beers.

One of them is a tropical pale, made with coconut and chilli (and jester hops) and I think I might have a go at something similar. Despite asking them about their hops etc, I didn't ask how they added the coconut! How would I go about this?

One of the lads at my homebrew club did a coconut IPA recently. It was really nice, and I don't normally go for adjuncts or flavourings in beer. I think he toasted it for a bit (for flavour and to sterilise) and threw it in at dry hopping stage.

Which brewery was that Mick?

Redcastle. They are based at Carmyle outside Arbroath. They have a stall in the Overgate this weekend.

They do about 6 beers, only the tropical pale and keg conditioned lager "push the boundaries" so to speak but all the beers were very nice!

Nice. I didn't realise Redcastle was based so nearby. I'll have to look out for them.

There's a couple of different ways to use coconut mentioned in the Brewdog recipe book. End-of-boil with the aroma hops, in the FV, as part of conditioning. Only thing in common is they're always toasted.

I'm considering a pineapple and coconut IPA. Everything I've read says toasting it first is required.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

700g of toasted coconut in secondary gave me a really good flavour. Hard to put down. I added some to the boil but it was wasted. This is almost like a dark bounty stout.
How was your head retention with that amount?

I have brewed a stout with 200g after boil and 200g after fermentation, with no taste of coconut at all.:(

Purchased a kilo of flaked toasted coconut,but roasted again in the oven at 350 deg and dabbed with kitchen roll,you do get a lot of oil out of it even though they have been toasted.So will see what happens when I stick some in the keg a re purge.

How long would you think the flavour would come through,as the beers already been conditioned for a month?

Latest posts

Back