Coconut in beer

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

big yogi

Reaction score
My note keeping is shite, unless I'm doing something for publication. It was a three gallon batch and I think I used a half pound, or a pound.
:laugh8::laugh8:
I take it you put it in after fermentation:thumba:

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well I put 700g into a keg,and it’s really nice after a week,I can’t believe how strong it’s come through,very impressed with the results.Will see if it changes over the coming months.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
Looking at adding coconut to a porter. The plan was to dry hop after two weeks and let it sit for another 4 with the coconut. How much flakes would you need for a 23litre batch. I was thinking 300g
The other question is how long do you roast them in the oven and what temperature.
Thanks

BREWERS DROOP

Landlord.
Reaction score
I use coconut alot. In a 50ltr batch of Stout i use a kilo of toasted flakes.
Ferment your beer out fully, then add into fermenter in a bag for 5 days at 16 degrees.

Subtle Duck

Reaction score
I've done a coconut porter, added 100g to 5 litres but only dry hopped for 4 days as was in a bit of a hurry to get it bottled. I found the coconut faded but it might be because of the short infusion. The coconut was toasted in an oven at 100'c on baking parchment until golden, then patted down with kitchen towel to remove as much oil as possible. I'd keep your eye on it though as it can burn quick. I had to make 2 batches as I turned my back for a few mins only find chard remains.

foxy

Landlord.
Reaction score
I add 190 gram in my coconut stout, just toast the flakes until they start to get a bit of colour in them. (have you checked, you should be able to buy them already toasted) 3 days in secondary you could also add about 30 gram of toasted almond flakes with it. this is the amount I use for 21 litres.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
I add 190 gram in my coconut stout, just toast the flakes until they start to get a bit of colour in them. (have you checked, you should be able to buy them already toasted) 3 days in secondary you could also add about 30 gram of toasted almond flakes with it. this is the amount I use for 21 litres.
I will check the local supermarket. See what's available. I plan to add coffee and coconut after fermentation is complete

GerritT

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sanitise 'm in a layer of vodka overnight before adding.
I didn't, and got a mild infection.

HarryFlatters

Landlord.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was that coca nibs
It was indeed.

First gold hops and a bit of lactose. I was going after a Pina Colada kinda theme, but the hops weren't pineappley enough. Next time I might use a can of pineapple rings.

samale

Landlord.
Reaction score
Update I decided on using two fresh coconut's from the supermarket. I ended up with 600grams which I cut into nice even strips which are getting roasted until slightly brown and added to the fermentor. Time will tell how it turns out

Latest posts

Group Builder