Coconut in beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I put 700g into a keg,and it’s really nice after a week,I can’t believe how strong it’s come through,very impressed with the results.Will see if it changes over the coming months.

Looking at adding coconut to a porter. The plan was to dry hop after two weeks and let it sit for another 4 with the coconut. How much flakes would you need for a 23litre batch. I was thinking 300g
The other question is how long do you roast them in the oven and what temperature.
Thanks

I use coconut alot. In a 50ltr batch of Stout i use a kilo of toasted flakes.
Ferment your beer out fully, then add into fermenter in a bag for 5 days at 16 degrees.

I've done a coconut porter, added 100g to 5 litres but only dry hopped for 4 days as was in a bit of a hurry to get it bottled. I found the coconut faded but it might be because of the short infusion. The coconut was toasted in an oven at 100'c on baking parchment until golden, then patted down with kitchen towel to remove as much oil as possible. I'd keep your eye on it though as it can burn quick. I had to make 2 batches as I turned my back for a few mins only find chard remains.

I add 190 gram in my coconut stout, just toast the flakes until they start to get a bit of colour in them. (have you checked, you should be able to buy them already toasted) 3 days in secondary you could also add about 30 gram of toasted almond flakes with it. this is the amount I use for 21 litres.

I add 190 gram in my coconut stout, just toast the flakes until they start to get a bit of colour in them. (have you checked, you should be able to buy them already toasted) 3 days in secondary you could also add about 30 gram of toasted almond flakes with it. this is the amount I use for 21 litres.
I will check the local supermarket. See what's available. I plan to add coffee and coconut after fermentation is complete

Update I decided on using two fresh coconut's from the supermarket. I ended up with 600grams which I cut into nice even strips which are getting roasted until slightly brown and added to the fermentor. Time will tell how it turns out

Back