Coffee Blonde Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I enjoy coffee, I'm not a coffee geek and don't know much about it, but I enjoy it.

I also enjoy coffee in beer. I don't see why this should be limited to stouts, porters and brown and having tasted the fantastic Out Of Office by Weird Beard I was glad I wasn't the only one.

I wanted a beer which tasted like a latte and was light in colour, I decided to label this under the Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer banner and the recipe was thus:

Batch size: 17l
Estimated Efficiency: 65%
Estimated OG: 1.056
Estimated FG: 1.017
Estimated ABV: 5.2%
Estimated IBU: 21.2

2.0 kg Lager (44.0%)
2.0 kg Pale Ale Malt - Propino (44.0%)
0.2 kg CaraPils (4.5%)
0.34 kg Lactose (7.5%) - added at end of boil

12 g Magnum (Ger) - 60 minutes: 21.2

68 g Coffee Beans - Crushed (4 g/l) Added to secondary for 6 days
2 Vanilla Pods Added to secondary for 6 days

Danstar Nottingham

Mash at 66ºc for 60 minutes.

The mash is underway. Further notes and photos to follow.

The mash is looking like it will be several hours as we're off to the in-law's for lunch. It's already been over an hour and a half and only just dropped a degree. I have also racked my dunkelweizen to secondary and harvested the yeast, which smelt glorious.

Some photos:

Nottingham Starter
2gtuckn.jpg

Obligatory grist shot
pnm6s.jpg

Mashed in
14nze3k.jpg

Majority of the mash ended up at 67ºc
1zd413l.jpg

Racking the accidental Dunkelweizen/session Weizenbock :whistle:
xgdrmv.jpg

Lovely, creamy, tashty yeast.
2zxnn5t.jpg

I know there are coffee lagers on the market. Never had one though.

What a long day. Couldn't deal with waiting for the wort to chill so I've whacked it in a sanitised fermenter and will add the yeast tomorrow when it's cooled down.

My efficiency was much better this time, ended up with 17l at 1.061, so it will be a bit stronger than the original recipe. I forgot the protofloc, but it looks very clear anyway.

Got home at 18:00ish last night, so pitched the decanted Nottingham starter. The fermenter had not bulges so I'm content no wild yeast/bacteria made their way in. No visible fermentation by 21:00, but this morning there is a strong ferment.

Racked this to secondary and added the coffee beans and vanilla. It has gone down to 1.014, which is much lower than expected. I hope it was lactose, like the label said and not dextrose :D

Starting to clear up nicely. Will give the coffee beans one more day and then remove, then cold crash and hopefully bottle next week. I think I will add some more lactose at bottling as it doesn't quite have the mouthfeel and sweetness I wanted. I may add 1/2 tsp more vanilla, but don't want to overdo it.

34pdfna.jpg

This sounds good. I had a bottle of Wiper & True - Unkle Funka a couple of weeks back which was really good so been thinking about attempting a coffee pale ale since.

Bottled this in some lovely Vichy bottles this weekend, despite having come down with some flueyness. I don't recommend it.

Quite clear. Forgot too add either more lactose or vanilla, but hoping the coffee might round out in the bottle.

Will post a photo of the finished product in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back