Coffee

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven’t noticed this thread before, I’ve had a gaggia classic and various different grinders for years, but rarely drink milky coffees and I’m the only coffee drinker in the house so recently upgraded to a cafelat robot and 1zpresso jxpro

Attachments

• EE8264F6-C9DF-4623-9DBF-1E1E38BE859A.jpeg
    EE8264F6-C9DF-4623-9DBF-1E1E38BE859A.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 135
Wife and myself we both like milky coffee like cappuccino or flat white. We have bough before xmas Sage Bambino Plus - before we had a delonghi espresso machine - Sage so much better and steamed milk great as well. Got burr grinder before and that as well improved taste.
We mainly get our coffee from Has Bean, but recently we tried Rave. Both good, I think Rave roast their coffee bit darker. Both get beans from small plantations - it supports small local communities - not huge corporations.

Haven’t noticed this thread before, I’ve had a gaggia classic and various different grinders for years, but rarely drink milky coffees and I’m the only coffee drinker in the house so recently upgraded to a cafelat robot and 1zpresso jxpro
The Robot is a beautiful pice of kit, how does it compare to the Gaggia?

Just found this thread as I never used to visit the foodie sub-forum until the sourdough thread caught my eye. I've upped my offshore game, got an aeropress as its easier to clean than a french press, love them, used the last one at home so much we scoured the inside of it with coffee and it doens't hold pressure anymore. But last hitch it made the fancy supermarket coffee taste really sour and cheap supermarket coffee taste very bitter, maybe my palate has got used to the nicer beans I'm using at home these days so I now have good beans and a Knock Aergrind. Should hit the spot nicely since I'm used to having a V60 after lunch at home.

Aeropress really does make a great coffee.Making a good coffee is a little like making a good home brew.

Using the fresh hops you can, and getting the grind right on the freshly ground beans.
Pulling espresso shots at home really is like brewing all grain beer, it’s a passion/hobby.

This thread has gone a little quiet over the last few months. Over the last few months I have been subscribing to a fortnight coffee bean subscription through Hasbean and have been very happy with it.
In the past I have always just thought I needed a darker roast coffee as my preference was for strong black coffee with my aeropress. I always preferred Nero over Starbucks or Costa🤷🏽
This subscription has been an eye opener for me with the flavour differences from different regions/countries and how the brewing of the coffee can have a big difference of the flavours..I have noticed that I do prefer the coffees from the Americas rather than Africa but I have enjoyed them all. The fortnightly works out fine for me as usually have a coffee a day
IMG_20210711_092456.jpg
IMG_20210612_131835.jpg
IMG_20210711_092505.jpg
IMG_20210501_105547.jpg
IMG_20210309_145401.jpg
IMG_20210529_091112.jpg

This thread has gone a little quiet over the last few months. Over the last few months I have been subscribing to a fortnight coffee bean subscription through Hasbean and have been very happy with it.
In the past I have always just thought I needed a darker roast coffee as my preference was for strong black coffee with my aeropress. I always preferred Nero over Starbucks or Costa🤷🏽
This subscription has been an eye opener for me with the flavour differences from different regions/countries and how the brewing of the coffee can have a big difference of the flavours..I have noticed that I do prefer the coffees from the Americas rather than Africa but I have enjoyed them all. The fortnightly works out fine for me as usually have a coffee a dayView attachment 50677View attachment 50678View attachment 50679View attachment 50680View attachment 50681View attachment 50682
Would this work for a Moka pot Dave

I find African coffees too fruity for my palate. I tried an Ethiopian one a few months back, it was like drinking weak fruit tea with just a hint of coffee to it. Pretty horrible to be honest. I prefer the dark fruit/caramel/chocolate/nut flavours you tend to get in South American coffees, they tend to be what I associate with "coffee", as opposed to muddy weak fruit tea. lol

Honestly though, of late we're just keeping it simple and drinking Pelican Rouge decaf. Cheap and tastes decent.

Would this work for a Moka pot Dave
I don't see why not. If you have a grinder just brew how you do if not I think you can specify different ground levels depending on your brewer.
I'm assuming you would style get the same flavour differences within your chosen brewing method. Moka pots produce a fairly strong oily brew don't they?

Wife and myself we both like milky coffee like cappuccino or flat white. We have bough before xmas Sage Bambino Plus - before we had a delonghi espresso machine - Sage so much better and steamed milk great as well. Got burr grinder before and that as well improved taste.
We mainly get our coffee from Has Bean, but recently we tried Rave. Both good, I think Rave roast their coffee bit darker. Both get beans from small plantations - it supports small local communities - not huge corporations.
i haven't seen that Rave brand over this side of the pond.
sounds like it could be worth looking out for.

Dave, if you like stronger ones, try coffees from Indonesia, like Toraja. My wife like a proper coffee kick in the morning and she loves this one. We had some first in Bali and we love the rich flavour and how strong it was . Only problem is that Hasbean doesn't have it often in stock

Just been reading through this thread with a lot of interest as I recently bought myself an Aeropress which I really like. I've now bought myself a cheapo hand grinder to experiment with different coffee beans and different grind settings; the results so far have been okay but then again I used a cheap bag of beans to try out the grinder. I'll keep coming back to this thread as I'm developing a real interest in coffee.
Photo attached of my Aeropress and grinder.
20211016_063221.jpg

Just been reading through this thread with a lot of interest as I recently bought myself an Aeropress which I really like. I've now bought myself a cheapo hand grinder to experiment with different coffee beans and different grind settings; the results so far have been okay but then again I used a cheap bag of beans to try out the grinder. I'll keep coming back to this thread as I'm developing a real interest in coffee.
Photo attached of my Aeropress and grinder.
View attachment 55804

How's that hand grinder working out?

Any tips for how to use it to get the best flavour out of the beans?

How's that hand grinder working out?

Any tips for how to use it to get the best flavour out of the beans?

I'm quite new to this hand grinding malarkey and the grinder only cost me £11 #Cheapskate. I've only used cheap beans from Aldi #Cheapskate but I've managed to work out how to grind really fine or a bit coarser, it just takes a bit of fiddling about with the dial on the burr.
Hope this is some help.

Back