Coffee

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Environmental precautions:
Do not discharge into drains
or rivers.”

There seems to be a huge contradiction between what you posted and what the shops selling it are saying -

This effective descaler is made from natural ingredients for fast and effective cleaning with a low impact on the environment.
The natural formula is biodegradable and phosphate free, making it suitable for a multitude of uses, including kettles, irons, shower ...

Oust Descaler - 500ml - Robert Dyas

This is a bit of a worry i have taken a picture of the only warning on the pack i have and there is no mention of environmental damage caused by pouring it away surely they would be breaking the law not including it in the warning.

OUST.jpg

This is a bit of a worry i have taken a picture of the only warning on the pack i have and there is no mention of environmental damage caused by pouring it away surely they would be breaking the law not including it in the warning.

OUST.jpg
I think the last cartoon covers them.

There is a red “X” that (I think) shows you not to mix the Descaler with water; which would probably go down the drain.

If it is used “properly” then the de-scaler would react with the scale and produce Calcium Lactate, Water and CO2.

Calcium Lactate is a salt that may be used for bone growth medicines.
:hat:

There is a red “X” that (I think) shows you not to mix the Descaler with water; which would probably go down the drain.

I have emailed them to ask why the data sheets says not to pour it away and asked why the package doesn't mention it, the picture is a misleading i took it as don't drink it surely adding a few words to the warning on the package would be far better..

I have to stop looking things up!!

An MSDS on Lactic Acid gave me:

Ecotoxicity:
Fish: Pseudomonas putida:

Which led me to this site:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4548156/
Which scared me stupid, especially reading:

“The recent emergence of multi-drug-resistant (MDR) and carbapenem-resistant P. putida has become a cause for concern; although this has not been extensively investigated.”

Yep, I’ve got to stop!
:hat:

A quick response from Henkel Limited -

Good afternoon ***.

Thank you for your patience.

I can confirm this section of our safety data sheet refers to the product as it is but when you use it in the appliances, the product gets diluted, so there are no concerns or negative impact to the drains.

Yours sincerely,

Emily

Consumer Response Advisor

Henkel Limited, Wood Lane End, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 4RQ, UK

Back