Coffee

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve,

Did you manage to master pulling an espresso?
I definitely wouldn't say I've mastered it, but I'm enjoying the shots anyway thumb. I've realised that I much prefer the lighter roasts with a bit of a fruity, acidic bite rather than the dark, bitter flavours.

This is a good thread to ask which is a good ground coffee. I got a Moka pot for Christmas

I really love Cafe Direct Machu Picchu. It's a chocolatey one, my favourite coffee. Quite deep, not too bitter. Very enjoyable on both Moka pot and pour over

This is this morning's espresso, Brazil Zona de Varginha from Rave. Pretty good, a nice balance between rich dark chocolate and tangy berries.
RMVHEEa.jpg

Lavazza rosso ??
This is a good thread to ask which is a good ground coffee. I got a Moka pot for Christmas
I don't think a supermarket pre-ground coffee can compare to a freshly roasted and ground coffee. I get mine from Rave and been pretty happy with it. A Moka pot needs a fairly fine grind and you might find supermarket coffees are too coarse (because they're usually ground to suit French press).

Union Roasted
Coffee Compass

You can find Union in Waitrose but the supply chain means it's rarely fresher than a month old whereas buying online means it'll be roasted within the last few days.

It looks like @strange-steve's Rave recommendation do a few of the full mahogany roasts that I like so I think I'll be sampling those soon.

Made the mistake of ordering some fresh beans from Hasbean for the Christmas holiday. It's all gone and now the supermarket coffees tastes ****. Oh well time to sign up for the fortnightly coffee delivery😋

Still using our bean to cup machine here, with a conical burr grinder for full caff (decaff beans in the hopper of the bean to cup, ground full caff in sealed tub. lol).

We've moved to Pelican Bay beans, Concerto blend for full caff, and their decaff blend beans. We find them delicious, and they're surprisingly cheap for such a good tasting coffee, and we've had much more expensive ones that didn't taste nearly as good....

The bonus with decaff, every now and then my darling wife does me a full mug of Espresso...... 🤪

The bonus with decaff, every now and then my darling wife does me a full mug of Espresso......
I'd like to get some decaf beans for evening coffee, but my grinder isn't single dose so it'd be a bit of a faff swapping between the beans. I have a little hand grinder which I suppose I could use for the decaf, it's not great but might be OK for occasional use 🤔

I'd like to get some decaf beans for evening coffee, but my grinder isn't single dose so it'd be a bit of a faff swapping between the beans. I have a little hand grinder which I suppose I could use for the decaf, it's not great but might be OK for occasional use 🤔

Yeah, that's the good thing about having a bean to cup machine AND a conical burr grinder (powered one). The machine has a little hole for ground coffee that will take 1 scoop at a time. So we just fill the bean hopper with decaf beans (as that's what we drink the most of) and grind some full caff beans in the grinder and keep this in a small sealable pot. That and the machine is self cleaning, so you can make a lot of coffee quickly. lol

Sure, it's probably not "gourmet", but good enough for us. lol

🤢 Instant coffee..... lol

No, seriously, I hate the stuff. Folks don't understand why I always decline hot drinks, instant coffee is the reason, that and 80% of people (been generous there...) haven't a clue how to make or serve tea..... aheadbutt

Folks don't even get it right when you ask for a black coffee, they STILL put milk in it, then say things like "oh I only caught it with a drop!" and expect you to drink it...The only way I was ever able to stomach instant coffee was with about 2 1/2 teaspoons of it per mug, served black.... Otherwise you may as well serve me a cup of weak bisto with milk added.... :tongue: Not going to drink it either way. lol

Back