Coffin Dodger's Brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CD

Retired Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brewed Gyle 310 yesterday, counting from my first all grain brew. 34 ½ gallons of Premium Bitter with an OG of 46, which I am calling ‘Double Celebration’, as it is my son and daughter-in-law’s Silver Wedding Anniversary and her 60th Birthday today.
Only difference with this one is 204 gms molasses added instead of 250, as my assistant brewer ate some! and Safale US 05 yeast used as my friendly brewery is using it now having been told it is top fermenting, which it isn’t.

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_1612.JPG

IMG_1613.JPG

Picture 1 is of the finished mash. My grandson is not asleep in Picture 2, he is operating a remote control to turn the wort transfer pump on when the billy can is nearly full. As sparging takes 1 hr 20 min, he does the first shift while I have lunch, then I take over. Picture 3 is the end of sparging with copper almost full. Yes I know the workbench needs tidying, its a disgrace.

This last brew holds the record for my slowest ever fermentation, so I am not at all impressed with US 05 Safale yeast, Even after keeping the temperature up to 21C instead of my normal 18/19, it took from 6pm on Monday to 8am this morning to come down to a gravity of 12.4, about 3 days longer than usual. Cooled to 11C by 6pm this evening, so just have to keep fingers crossed it turns out ok.

Latest posts

Back