Coil length for HERMs pot and which PID?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msilcocks

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just building myself a Herms system and was wondering what length of coiled tubing is needed in the heat exchanger?

Also im a little lost, i have read so much on PID controllers i am pickled, can someone recommend a purchase?

THanks

msilcocks said:
Hi Guys,

Just building myself a Herms system and was wondering what length of coiled tubing is needed in the heat exchanger?

Also im a little lost, i have read so much on PID controllers i am pickled, can someone recommend a purchase?
You Don't really need much more than a meter of tubing

As far as PIDS, I like the 1512 from Auber Instruments

I've also been using the Auber 1512 for many years, solid and reliable :thumb:
There is no hard and fast rule....yet...though in theory eventually too short a pipe wouldn't give enough heat exchange for the flow rate you require. Mines a bit bigger than A's, more like 2m+ IIRC..been a long time since I measured it :lol:

Ive got someone currently making me a coil for that exact pot and for the same reason but out of copper.£35.60 is what he's charging me. its 14 loops and exiting from the top, it allows space at the bottom for a burco boiler element. i'm not too sure on the length of pipe but i will find out for you

my experimental herms h/e used again just over 2m of 10mm soft copper tube coiled to fit in a 6pint vessel heated with a kettle element, when testing i measured the waterbath temp which remained within a degree of target when running well so led me to assume the coil was long enough :)

the sestos pid units are a bit cheaper than the auber models but emulate them fairly closely tho dont have all the features such as F or C display modes the sestos is C display only....
just ensure u get a ssr controller and avoid simple relay models :)

I use 8mm and just shy of 2m I believe (6 loops diameter 10cm so 60x3=180ish)
not had a problem, I use the same Pids as Vossy and Aleman.

Ok thanks guys for the info so my original plan of about 2.5m of tubing in a 6 litre pot should work out ok.

With regards to the auber PID controller are they only available from the USA as none popped up on a search within the UK.

Thanks

With regards to the auber PID controller are they only available from the USA as none popped up on a search within the UK.
The most popular are the Chinese versions and the US versions, English sourced can cost an arm and a leg :roll: :( I prefer to order from Auber as they're a shop, there's no potential comms problems, and should be pretty good if you have problems v Chinese E-bay sellers, though I suppose you have Paypal in your corner if you experience 'issues' with Chinese sourced stuff.

With regards to eBay, be careful. Paypal only offers any help or protecting if problems arise within 45 days of the transaction taking place. After that, even UK-based companies can be difficult to deal with!

Dennis

I bought 2 PIDS from ebay and they both had bits of plastic broken near the terminals at the back, they offered me about £1.20 back off them, then it went up to about £5. I put a claim in with ebay and they gave me a refund within about 10 mins.

Ebay is good if things come damaged or within the time limits but outside of that its a minefield. :(

Back