Cold brew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffster77

Reaction score
Due to extreme child related lack of sleep, i just had a conplete brain fart and made up a kit beer using cold water. God knows what will happen now...

Will it not just take longer to get started? I would have thought. Then turn into beer!

Its certainly bubbling away so fingers crossed. The SG was low but i dont mind a low alcohol for this one

I’m assuming it’s a kit, so it will be fine! Made all my kits (when I started) with cold water, except to get the last bits out of the can. I drank them when they turned into beer :beer1:

Not got my notes with me but 1020 i think
I suspect that this is due to the malt extract being stuck at the bottom of the bucket, hopefully over time it will disperse within the liquid and be fermented worth keying in the volume of malt extract and any other additions I.e. sugar into brewers friend or similar to get the OG.

Hmmmm 7 days later, its managed to go to 1010. 1.3% alcohol.

Any ideas what i can do?

Hmmmm 7 days later, its managed to go to 1010. 1.3% alcohol.

Any ideas what i can do?

Pour as much as you can into a second fermenting bucket and see if you have a wodge of thick liquid extract in the bottom? Dissolve in a couple of litres of hot water, allow to cool and reunite with the rest of the wort. I'd wait to hear what the more knowledgable folk on this forum say though!

I'd put money on your OG of 1020 being false due to the kit not mixing properly in the cold water.

If all the sugary goodness hadn't dissolved then the OG will be low but the finished beer will be the strength it's supposed to be, because the yeast will still eat the sugar. I doubt very much you have a 1.3% beer!

I imagine it's impossible to get an OG that low from a kit unless you added about twice the amount of water you were supposed to.

Don't worry about it, you still have beer athumb..

Similar issues here:- Low OG. What's wrong?

I'd put money on your OG of 1020 being false due to the kit not mixing properly in the cold water.

If all the sugary goodness hadn't dissolved then the OG will be low but the finished beer will be the strength it's supposed to be, because the yeast will still eat the sugar. I doubt very much you have a 1.3% beer!

I imagine it's impossible to get an OG that low from a kit unless you added about twice the amount of water you were supposed to.

Don't worry about it, you still have beer athumb..

Similar issues here:- Low OG. What's wrong?
Yep, what honeymonster said.

If you’ve added the right amount of water, the SG will be around what the kit instructions say it should be. Your low reading will because you used cold water and it hasn’t mixed properly.

Back