Cold crash and finings before kegging?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowcrow

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've not had the set up to cold crash before, and have only used finings once before bottling.

This time I'm kegging and have my keezer that I can use to cold crash. I've made a steam beer type recipe, and would like it fairly clear to help convince those who aren't so into homebrew, that it is all good.

It is currently just under 2 weeks in the primary and fermentation has stopped from the gravity readings.

I'm my old world, I'd move to the racking vessel for a day, leave it where it could be left as cool as possible and then bottle.

I have some beer brite, so what would work best? Adding that and cold crashing in the fv and then straight to keg after 2 days? Moving to a 2nd and cold crashing and then kegging and then adding the beer brite to the keg?

As ever, cheers all!

So been reading here for the last while so answered my own question - I'll put in my keezer tomorrow morning at 2c, and give it 2 days at that temp and see how it looks from there, if needed I'll add the beer brite when kegging which I'll do Sunday afternoon - but might be that the cold crash gives me everything I need.

I'll leave in the primary fv for now to save messing around.

Last edited:
I cold crashed my American IPA (first AG brew for about 15 years!) last week for 4 days, bottled 4 ltrs and kegged the rest (about 15ltrs) and it was really clear, even after dry hopping with pellets straight into the FV. Never tried this method before, looks like it won't any finings at all.

Great to hear. Had some spare time so lugged it out to the keezer and popped it in. Left it at 5c tonight and will drop lower tomorrow morning.
Screenshot_20190829_204117.jpg

So been reading here for the last while so answered my own question - I'll put in my keezer tomorrow morning at 2c, and give it 2 days at that temp and see how it looks from there, if needed I'll add the beer brite when kegging which I'll do Sunday afternoon - but might be that the cold crash gives me everything I need.

I'll leave in the primary fv for now to save messing around.

I cold crash my FV at 1.5C for 48 hours, then add gelatine to the corny keg before filling. After 3 days at 10C in my keezer, the beer is remarkably clear, just like the commercial stuff, really amazing results. I did find cold crashing alone works quite well but adding gelatine takes it to another level.

Latest posts

Back