Cold crashing wheat beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfr42

Landlord.
Reaction score
Wheat beer gurus, hope you can help me.

Do I want to give my (first) AG wheat beer 24hrs out in the shed before bottling or do I want to leave the suspended yeast where it is as is to style?

You could to knock out any junk I suppose but I wouldn't say it is essential..

Some people even roll the bottle to get the yeast into suspension before pouring

I was just thinking the same thing. My first wheat, a Gose is currently bubbling away in the brew fridge.

My thoughts were to cold crash for a day or so as I don't like things too yeasty. The high level of protein in the wheat should keep things nicely cloudy.

I was just thinking the same thing. My first wheat, a Gose is currently bubbling away in the brew fridge.

My thoughts were to cold crash for a day or so as I don't like things too yeasty. The high level of protein in the wheat should keep things nicely cloudy.

What yeast have you used? a lot of them the yeast is a major part of the character

I used wb-06 despite fermenting at the high end of 24-25 degrees it is definitely more clovey than bananaesque.

What yeast have you used? a lot of them the yeast is a major part of the character

wyeast 1007 German Ale.

This is my first wheat (AG No.4 overall), so admittedly I have no real idea. :whistle:

More than happy to take advice.

They are low flocculating I don't "think" really getting them to drop out is the main aim.. having the yeast suspended is kind of part of it as the yeast imparts their flavour. It is why it is worth getting a nice liquid yeast like you have done on these styles to bring out the complex flavours a bit more..

Not that I am a wheat expert, I only just done my first few wheats myself (belgian witbiers but esentially the same).

Like I say some people roll the bottles before opening to get everything in suspension.. I guess thats personaly preference.

I never even bothered with whirlfloc / irish moss.. SOmething people will debate I am sure but most just do not think it is needed??

Latest posts

Back