Cold Fermentation (10c)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow47

Regular.
Reaction score
Thinking of buying some 5L plastic bottles and making some WOW in them, but all my heaters are already in use... so some questions...

How does the Youngs Wine Yeast cope with temperatures around 10c?

Is it best to pitch at 10c if I'm going to ferment at 10c? (Because only the strongest of the yeast will survive and multiply, just a theory, no idea if it's true)

Just how slow will fermentation be? I'd imagine more than twice the time it takes to ferment at 20c

If I wrap in a quilt/clothes, will this boost the temp enough to make a difference? (because the yeast create heat as they ferment).

And finally so you can just quote this and not type anything else if you think this is ridiculous...

Shall I just forget about this and wait until I buy a heater?

I don't think it will do any thing I ferment cider in my conservatory that gets cold at night but warms up in the day. That takes about a month or so to ferment but I think if your temperatures stay that low all the time nothing will happen at all most yeasts are happy at 18 to 21c.

Cheers Graham.

Today I took an previously opened carton of grape juice from the bottom of the fridge, where the temperature is about 4 c. It's been there for a few weeks. The carton was swollen. The original sg was 1065 and now reads 1040 and is bubbly. Brief exposure to air had been enough to allow airborn yeast in. Astonishing. So cold fermentation works. It's slow but apparantly the results are much better. The final stage of champagne making uses this process.

Thanks people, so it should work, it may just be slower, I'll just give it a go, why not, only going to cost £2.50 for the juice & sugar.

David said:
http://www.lalvinyeast.com/strains.asp

Checkout ICV K1V-1116 and EC-1118.

I may concentrate on using these now that Eon have increased the cost of heating my winemaking room.

I want some, but where to buy?

And can they be bought in bulk?

https://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/catalogs ... in&x=0&y=0

£2.30 for delivery on a tiny packet of yeast! What a joke.

You can get them bulk from the US, 10 packs for around £9 (including delivery!) cheaper than rip off Britain including the delivery price, great. There's also a seller on eBay selling single packets for £1.25 and £2.45 for delivery, I emailed them expressing my disgust don't worry!

Anyway, I've just acquired a 1/2 gal demi from Freecycle and am going to try a small batch of 10c wine in it with the Youngs Wine Yeast.

It is actually warmer in my living room but it drops to around 10c of a night, so average temp of the fermenting wine should be around 12 at least.

Should be fine, but a little slow, no big deal.

Back