Cold Smoking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did a Cold Smoke of Gouda, Cheddar and Red Leicester today! (Beginning to feel a bit fitter!)

I've photographed the process for anyone who is uncertain as to what it is!

This is a photograph of the set-up I have using an old coffee maker, a small aquarium air pump, a couple of lengths of tube and a plastic box.

IMG_2016.jpg

Smoking is underway because I can't see the cheese inside the box and on a freezing cold day the temperature probe is showing 29*C. The probe is inside the coffee maker where I use about 4cm of water to form a water-trap and prevent smoke from escaping.

The next photograph is of the amount of smoke entering the plastic box. I use an oak and apple mixture to produce the smoke and usually smoke for no more than an hour.

IMG_2006.jpg

The temperature probe has risen to 43*C which indicates that the coffee-maker is still generating smoke. (It becomes harder to see the smoke as the box fills up with smoke.) The water bath temperature may get as high as 80*C before the end of the smoking period.

IMG_2018.jpg

The finished product. All I have to do is wrap each block in cling-film, label it so that I can recognise the difference between the Gouda (top three) and the Cheddar before opening it and leave it to mature for about a week before using it! (The maturing process is critical as it allows the smokey flavour to penetrate throughout the cheese and reduce the bitterness that can occur.)

IMG_2021.jpg

I couldn't resist pouring myself a pint whilst I was keeping an eye on the smoking process so I pulled a jug full from a Newkie Brown that I had put into a 10 litre keg in January last year! If anything, it tastes even better than it did a year ago and (of course) now that I've breached the keg and opened up the top to the air (I ran out of CO2 about a month ago and can't get a replacement without breaking "Lockdown Rules") I will have to drink the rest of it PDQ!

IMG_2019.jpg

Enjoy!

This is really interesting dutto. when you get a spare moment, could you please take a few pics of your coffee pot smoker? Would love to make one for chillies this summer (or do they need to be hot smoked)? Plus we love smoked cheese in this house.

Took this system ...

... and modified it to make it that bit bigger!

I now have four smokers!! The one in the photograph for Cold Smoking, one for the cooker top for Hot Smoking a couple of fish, a ProQ for Hot Smoking just about anything and finally an attachment to the BBQ that allows me to produce smoke and Hot Smoke anything being BBQ'ed! I too love the flavour of smoked stuff!

Personally, I wouldn't smoke chillies until they had been dried out; then I'd cold smoke them. (My success at growing anything is bleak! Hops and chillies have all fallen by the wayside I'm afraid!)

Wonder what i'll be doing tomorrow 🤔
sure I've got most bits lying around somewhere in the house.

Looks interesting!
My cold smoker is a converted stainless steel bread bin (as the fire pit), fed through copper pipe via an ice bath, and assisted by an aquarium air pump to the smoking chamber (purpose built wooden box).
It's a bit of a pain having to keep topping up the wood chips, but the end justifies the means!
I smoke loads of chillis - I find that they take on more smoke flavour when they're fresh, so I smoke them for a day or two, dry them (in the sun - weather permitting, or in the dehydrator, if not), then give them another day in the smoker...

I used to have a cold smoker, it was a cardboard box with a tin full of smoking chips with a soldering iron in them. It did the job but was a lot more dangerous and ineffective as this (I expect). Definitely giving this a go though!

Never thought of smoking chillies before!

@lupinehorror This may interest you. I have a bottle of home made Chilli Vodka which is best consumed in very small nips. Even in freezing weather It definitely keeps out the cold!

The next bottle may well have smoked chillies in it!
yup. i do carolina reaper vodka every so often. definitely warming and also makes a brilliant bloody mary 🍹

Never come across Carolina Reaper.

The five Birdseye Chillies used to flavour a litre bottle of vodka definitely turned it into a "sipping drink" rather than one to be knocked back; and they also made me respect the power of hot chillies!
Birdseye chillies will be about 100,000 Scoville Heat Units @Dutto. A Carolina reaper could be up to 20 times hotter. They are truly evil. I grew some Trinidad Scorpion peppers last year, similar sort of heat. Crazy, just crazy hot.

reapers and bhut jolokia aren't to be trifled with but used wisely they impart some amazing flavour (and obviously mega heat).
using dried chilies to make the smoke for the cheese? hmm.

Never thought of smoking chillies before!

…. I have a bottle of home made Chilli Vodka which is best consumed in very small nips. Even in freezing weather It definitely keeps out the cold!

The next bottle may well have smoked chillies in it!

Problem with this and Posts the same day (14th February last year) were the last ones in the subject!

I must have been overdoing things at the time because I spent another few months sat in that damned chair!

Anyway, I’ve still got some of the original Chilli Vodka left and getting more potent, but the smoked cheese has been consumed and I’m due to fire up the Cold Smoker again; this time for Smoked Salmon.

I hope the OP fired up a few people to try Cold Smoking in the last 14 months. It’s a great way to pass the time whilst the fermenter is going “glub-glub” for a couple of weeks!
:hat:

Latest posts

Back