Cold steeping a porter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello

In the past I have brewed a few stouts and black IPA, however I did with a stout cold steep the dark roasted grains and chocolate malt and on that occasion I think the effect was pretty good.. I actually liked that I got all the flavours and it was smooth without harshness

Has anyone tried this with a porter?

I was wondering whether the brown and chocolate malt would still benefit from this.. would you stick the crystal in too? or just mash that with the pale

Just looking for peoples thoughts

TIA

Never thought of Cold Steeping but I can see how that could work; especially for Chocolate Malt.

I have reduced the amount of Chocolate Malt in my brews since "The Great Barley Wine Disaster of 2016", which is still waiting to mature on the shelf after nearly two years!

Recently a 300g addition of Chocolate Malt to a 6kg grain bill for an Oatmeal Stout has still resulted in a taste that is more chocolate than I would like, so my question is:

"Steeped in how much water, at what temperature and for how long?"

Thanks in anticipation.:gulp:

Never thought of Cold Steeping but I can see how that could work; especially for Chocolate Malt.

I have reduced the amount of Chocolate Malt in my brews since "The Great Barley Wine Disaster of 2016", which is still waiting to mature on the shelf after nearly two years!

Recently a 300g addition of Chocolate Malt to a 6kg grain bill for an Oatmeal Stout has still resulted in a taste that is more chocolate than I would like, so my question is:

"Steeped in how much water, at what temperature and for how long?"

Thanks in anticipation.:gulp:

The idea is to steep at room temp for about 24 hours and I think for those grains you use about 3 times the amount you'd use in a mash.. obviously remember to deduct this from your mash. I would add this in at the end after straining off the grain..

for a stout it worked nice got the flavours and no harsh edges..

Hi!
I considered cold steeping on my last milk stout; instead I plumped for late addition of the roasted and dark grains in the mash - the final 15 minutes.

Less hassle, do you think it worked or had a positive effect?
Hi!
It's difficult to say - it's the first milk stout that I've made. I followed GH's recipe and it's far more bitter than I like, but I don't know whether it's bitterness from the hops or from the roasted grains.

I've never considered cold steeping. For Black IPAs, I use dehusked roasted grains (Carafa Special III, Blackprinz) designed to not be astringent. Sometimes adding them when sparging. I've also read of brewers steeping grains in their strike water, mainly when brewing red ales, as a way to get good control over the colour.

I mostly make my Stouts cold steeping the dark grains. I think the flavour is better and i don't have to adjust the water as much. There is less upfront roastiness imho. Never tried cold steeping the crystal as well. Have to remember you lose out on sparge water doing this unless you reduce the cold steeped wort and add to boiler.

What do people do when they add the grains at the end of the mash. Are they added during mashout and how long before?

The idea is to steep at room temp for about 24 hours and I think for those grains you use about 3 times the amount you'd use in a mash.. obviously remember to deduct this from your mash. I would add this in at the end after straining off the grain..

for a stout it worked nice got the flavours and no harsh edges..

If you were to use 3x the normal amount you will end up with a very unbalanced beer. As far as i have seen there is no need to increase the amount of grain for cold steeping. I never have. For about 250g i use 2l of water left in the fridge overnight then i rinse with another litre of cold water next day and reduce (if i have time). As far as i can tell the extraction is the same.

What do people do when they add the grains at the end of the mash. Are they added during mashout and how long before?

I dont bother mashing out. When the mash step ends I carefully add the grains to the top of the mash without stirring them in, then vorlauf and fly sparge as normal. Essentially, it's just a steep with running water.

If you were to use 3x the normal amount you will end up with a very unbalanced beer. As far as i have seen there is no need to increase the amount of grain for cold steeping. I never have. For about 250g i use 2l of water left in the fridge overnight then i rinse with another litre of cold water next day and reduce (if i have time). As far as i can tell the extraction is the same.

I meant 3x the water not the grain sorry lol so i meant quite a wet cold steep.

As it I BIAB so there is no sparge, I do mash out so i Will probably dump it in there with grains and all.

I thought brown malt required mashing, but that crystal and chocolate would be OK steeped?
GH has a table for malts that incudes this info, so if there is one to hand, it should be easy to get an informed view on this.

Back