Colour from hops???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobyjrn6

Reaction score
I brewed a large batch to split in two and single hop with galaxy and mosaic respectively to really get to grips with what each is imparting. mashed in the same batch, collected all my wort, gave it a bit of heat and a good stir then separated into two pots, added my different hops to each batch and going in to the fermentors all looked identical (and a bit cauliflower - esque oops may have overused protafloc.)

Fast forward to dry hopping, nothing too crazy 15g in 4.5l and took gravity readings on both. ironically (from a potential oxidation standpoint) I took another reading from the right hand fermentor to make sure it was definitely done a couple of days later as can be seen in the pic and this is the one which stayed lighter. Mosaic left, Galaxy right
IMG_3179.JPG

Im almost certain the colour change appeared late on during dry hopping or during cold crashing so my thoughts are that it could be one or a combination of:

Different hops imparting colour difference/not dropping out as quickly.
Oxidation of the left mosaic batch despite less potential for oxygen getting in however mosaic hop packet had been opened before vs fresh galaxy.
Left (mosaic) batch was towards the back of the fridge and got colder during crash chill - could be elimination of chill haze giving darker overall colour with more depth of beer visible?

Any assistance in the detective work would be amazing,

Cheers

At a wild guess, I might suggest that there is more yeast in suspension in the beer in the RHS of your pic and there may be less difference in colour when it drops out.

At a wild guess, I might suggest that there is more yeast in suspension in the beer in the RHS of your pic and there may be less difference in colour when it drops out.

That's kind of what I'm thinking now, plus Ive since bottled them and theres a lot more visible hop debris is the one from the left so maybe the right has caused a lot more hop haze for some reason

I think this is probably the correct explanation.

Inclined to agree, just cant really understand why there would be such a huge difference given it was the same recipe, same yeast and same hop quantities, do you reckon a couple of degrees temp difference during crash chilling could actually have caused it?

Different levels of hop oils? Galaxy has a lot more than mosaic. Just a guess though.

would make a load of sense actually, i remember another mosaic single hop i made a while ago clearing out loads but had put it down to it being an extract brew

Latest posts

Back