Common brewing practices you’ve never done

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
What things that are widespread and/or reasonably common practice within the Homebrew community have you never done?

I’ve never used a syphon and wouldn’t even know where to start with one. When I first started the Wherry starter kit came with a tapped bucket and bottling wand so I’ve always just bottled from the tap with the wand.

For the same reason, I’ve never racked to secondary. As well as now being worried about it introducing oxygen I had always bottled from primary with the tap and bottling wand.

I’ve never used finings other than protofloc. I didn’t think they were commonly used in home brewing until the issue of isinglass/gelatine finings was brought up in the comp rules thread.

I’ve never drank Homebrew whilst making home brew. I believe this is the law but I’ve never done it because my brew days usually start at 7AM and finish in time for lunch so it’s a bit early for me.

Last edited:
What things that are widespread and/or reasonably common practice within the Homebrew community have you never done?

I’ve never used a syphon and wouldn’t even know where to start with one. When I first started the Wherry starter kit came with a tapped bucket and bottling wand so I’ve always just bottled from the tap with the wand.

For the same reason, I’ve never racked to secondary. As well as now being worried about it introducing oxygen I had always bottled from primary with the tap and bottling wand.

I’ve never used finings other than protofloc. I didn’t think they were commonly used in home brewing until the issue of isinglass/gelatine finings was brought up in the comp rules thread.

I’ve never drank Homebrew whilst making home brew. I believe this is the law but I’ve never done it because my brew days usually start at 7AM and finish in time for lunch so it’s a bit early for me.

I took a final gravity reading for the first few brews but found two packs of dry yeast, rehydrated, pitched and left for two weeks gave consistent results so I never bother with a FG reading. I have had mixed results with liquid yeast so I do take a FG when using it.

Never chilled my wort.
Never aerated my wort.
Never dry hopped.
Never mash outed.
Never treated water but have used bottled to get a decent stout.
Never used a corny keg.
Never used CO2 in a PB.
Never used starsan.

Never actively controlled temps - via external heating cooling. I just put the fv in different parts of the house and use different yeasts to compensate.
Never cold crash - no space.
Never used finings.
Never done a full length boil.

And Never farted in my FV (I appreciate & hope this isn't common practice)

Never had a problem free brew day
Sign me up for this one too!

Having said that yesterday was almost problem free for the first time ever, yet I was left unable to enjoy that fact due to the mammoth hangover.

Never mashed out
Never successfully managed to whirlpool
Never racked to secondary
Never used a bottling bucket or bottling wand
Never batch primed
Never waited more than a week before sampling a bottle 😉

Never ,,,,

sparged
Whirlpooled
Racked to a secondary
Used geletin Yet
Milled my own grain

Never chilled my wort.
Never used gelatin
Never mashed out.
Never treated water.
Never used a corny keg.
Never used a PB.
Never used starsan.
Never used a secondary.
Never batch primed.

Surprised I've ever managed to make beer! Such a luddite

Whilst I have tried many techniques, I never now...
whirlpool
use liquid yeast
add finings in the FV
take a FG reading (just leave it 2 weeks)
cold crash
rack to a secondary
batch prime
use anything other than bottles

I’ve never kegged, and never used CO2 to transfer beer.

I’ve never scooped the crud off the top of boiling wort.

beyond that nothing springs to mind

I’ve never scooped the crud off the top of boiling wort.

I have started doing this recently. Not religiously, just trying to lift the bulk of ot with a jug, but 2 beers of late have came out pretty clear so whilst I would say it's a bit early for a victory lap, I might be being in another brew or 2s time thats it's worth doing.

Never used a liquid yeast
Nor lactose
Don't own a brewing fridge
Or a keg of any sort
And don't use glass bottles only PET

Back