Comparing hop prices

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
I was thinking of making a spreadsheet of prices from different sites, with a list of the different hops and their prices for each seller, along with postage costs, so that I can buy the cheapest each time.

Then I thought 'that's ridiculous...'

'... I bet someone on THBF has already made one.'

So has anyone done this? And can I steal it please?

The prices may vary from year to year based on harvest and the demand. So I think creating the SS would be good.

Critical bit for comparison of value not cost would be to include and categorise all the other of information:

AA%
Storage method
Harevest year
Postage costs
Etc

You also need to consider some suppliers nitrogen flushed which helps keep their freshness.

A comparison of hop prices from the same year's harvest would be good. It should be born in mind that some suppliers off quantities greater than the standard 100g (and one at least offers 50 g) and that these are often proportionally cheaper. TMM offers, or used to offer, a discount for 5 or more bags.

I’d be interested. I always do a price comparison between the main shops before I make an order anyway but it would be handy to have the spreadsheet so I don’t have to.

You started the ball rolling now mate.

Haha!

I'm attempting a first build now, which will be based around 100g pellets. Additional functionality can be added later, with different amounts, years, leaf etc, but trying to add it all now will just mean it never gets off the ground.

Wish me luck!

I started something similar a couple of months back but not just tracking hops, tracking some of the core essentials and also included differences in postage based on weight and (importantly for me) - highland charges. Probably won't have time for the next 10 days or so do incorporate into your google sheet but I've attached it here in case you want to take anything from it :)

Attachments

• Beer Stores.xlsx
    22.8 KB · Views: 82
That's a point, I hadn't considered delivery charges outside of standard. I think it would be useful to add them in either as a new column to the supplier page, or a new tab entirely.

For things outside of hops it may complicate matters, with non consistent quality making categorisation harder. But that's not to say its not a great idea. I think a few more tabs on ingredients and sundries could be really helpful.

With the forums input I think this will have suppliers shaking in their boots and getting ready for an arms race.

I think you should assume you are buying 1 pack of hops when you apply the delivery cost. Also only compare by year of harvest.

If no one has made one, would anyone be interested in it if I made one?

Just like this post if you would...
Just tried to add Keg Kingdom but I'm useless at docs. Shipping costs would be nice to add if you pursue the idea

Most of wot I said in a PM earlier today...
This is the sort of thing that needs to be kept simple or it becomes a nightmare to maintain and/or it gets progressively out of date and becomes less useful.
Been there, done that
By example if there are 10 suppliers and 30 different hops, that's 300 cells to be maintained for just price let alone the build and updating other stuff.
And whilst there will be folks loving an all singing all dancing spreadsheet with lots of data, they don't have to maintain it
So the simplest format I could think of which gives an at a glance comparison I have attached.
If anyone using it is attracted by a hop price and supplier its up to them to find out the delivery charge, and any other info they need.

Attachments

• HOP CHART_v1.xlsx
    5.4 KB · Views: 67
Personally I would never buy a single pack of hops. I place a big order 3-4 times a year and because of the size normally get free delivery.

Back