Compensation!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobbynormal

Reaction score
I don’t know if there’s such a thing as ‘home brewers hand’ but I think I’ve got it after doing up 40 plastic bottle tops.

It's always the next day when hands feel arthritic. Takes me a while each time to work out what the cause was. This week it was from scrubbing a batch of bottles to remove the label residue.

Getting old is a bitch, I recently bought one of those jar openers as the machine at the beetroot plant has obviously been set to the "screw the feckers on as hard as you can" setting.

I just have a blister on my palm but as for jars getting tighter ? I don’t know how elderly people get on. People used to ask me to open jars but now I also struggle at 50 ish ish ish years old.
Beetroot is good but I’m more a gherkin man myself.

Getting old is a bitch...

Not that old really, just feels like it after doing manual labor sometimes. Desk job has made me soft.

Putting some effort in with jars, screwdrivers, spanners, bottles, it's not normal for weak hands.aunsure....

Putting some effort in with jars, screwdrivers, spanners, bottles, it's not normal for weak hands.

I got one of these it fits anything from a small bottle cap to a lid much bigger than a jam jar lid - £2.99 from the Range store.

24953.jpg

For anyone who hasnt worked out why, the reason why jars can be so hard to open is not because theyve been screwed on really tight but because of a vacuum.

I often either store yeast in the fridge in a jar or use a jar to make a small starter in if Im going to step it up. To sanise the jar I usually boil the empty jar for 15 mins. Whilst its cooling down I screw the lid on lightly to stop any airborne 'stuff' getting in my freshly sanised jar. Once the jar is cooled down the lid can be quite hard to unscrew because the a vacuum has formed (Im guessing the air inside has cooled down, and contracted to form this vacuum

To get lids off all you need to do is 'break' (not sure of the correct terminology) the vaccuum. You can do this by either sliding a butter knife between the lip of the lid and the jar then levering up the lid a bit to 'let air in and the vacuum out' or just get a sharp knife and pucture the lid. Im guessing, in a similar way to my boiled starter jars, heat is involved in the 'jarring' process that creates this vacuum when the jar cools down.

Upend the top of the jar in hot water to allow the metal to expand or for the truly posh stand it upside down on the aga for a moment.

You can do this by either sliding a butter knife between the lip of the lid and the jar then levering up the lid a bit to 'let air in and the vacuum out' or just get a sharp knife and pucture the lid.

I knew about the vaccum i haven't tried your first suggestion I have used the second but if you are keeping what is in the jar for a long period you don't want a hole in the lid I guess you could put some tape over it but for £3 the opener will do for me. wink...

Latest posts

Back