Competition schedule 2021

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a relative newbie here, but I would love an opportunity to have a shot at lager month. However I completely understand if people would rather a more experienced member. Or if there was a process of testing quality of feedback ect...

Just thinking about the discussion on the other thread about categories, and I agree that fairly judging a subtle weaker beer can be tricky against a big impy or similar....
I wonder if the category could get broken down more by style or strength depending on number of entries each month??? So if there were lots of entries the judge could give separate results for beers below and above 8% for example.

Just thinking about the discussion on the other thread about categories, and I agree that fairly judging a subtle weaker beer can be tricky against a big impy or similar....
I wonder if the category could get broken down more by style or strength depending on number of entries each month??? So if there were lots of entries the judge could give separate results for beers below and above 8% for example.

But wouldn't the beer still have the same score if judged by the same judge. Giving separate scores won't change that. The above is only of interest if you want a top 3 placing

But wouldn't the beer still have the same score if judged by the same judge. Giving separate scores won't change that. The above is only of interest if you want a top 3 placing

The feedback is important but its also nice to know how a beer stacks up against its peers. Folks seem to feel that weaker more subtle beers aren't being given a fair chance so I was just trying to think of a way to level the playing field without making the categories too narrow or changing the schedule.
Interestingly the winners of the last 5 competitions have been:

Impy
IPA
ESB
Hibiscus beer???
Bourbon strong ale

Ditch a freestyle month for Belgian.

If the beers are tasted in order of strength or grouped in strength and tasted on different days then they should be scored accurately.. very few lower abv beers are going to be judged accurately following a higher alcohol version in any style.

Your down @Dads_Ale
Ditch a freestyle month for Belgian.

If the beers are tasted in order of strength or grouped in strength and tasted on different days then they should be scored accurately.. very few lower abv beers are going to be judged accurately following a higher alcohol version in any style.
Both freestyle months are already taken so should we swap the October dark month for Belgian before that's taken?

Ditch any month for a Belgian🙏
Could make one of the dark months 7.5% plus or make 1 of the freestyle months as higher alcohol month for any style.

Happy to judge something next year, any category if there’s one left 🍺

Latest posts

Back