Complete Newbie from Grimsby

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well, I've took the plunge! Probably start it in the next couple of days :thumb:

IMG_0003[1].jpg

Ah well, a bit of an update. Started it two weeks ago, a Brewmaker Shire Mild kit from the shop in Grimsby, it says ready to drink in about 10 days! Did as the instructions said but instead of adding 1kg of sugar I used 1kg of Muntons beer enhancer. I was a bit premature pitching the yeast as it was about 25 degrees C but it soon dropped to 23 then slowly came down to the room temp of 20. The OG was 1042 which was higher than I thought it would be but put that down to the beer enhancer. Started fermenting and next day the airlock was bubbling away nicely. After 2 days I had to leave it but kept the room at 20 and the wife in charge :oops: . Returned 5 days later to find very occasional bubbles through the airlock, checked the SG and it was at around 1019, gave it a light stir and it started bubbling again quite regular. Checked it again on Monday after the bubbles slowed and it was at 1010, was getting very occasional bubbles and checked it again this morning and it read 1010 so thought I'd bottle it though the instructions say below 1008 and after 4-6 days. It's had a full 2 weeks in the FV so hope I've done right. I've filled and capped 42 500ml bottles adding 0.5 tsp of granulated sugar to each, I threw away about 1 litre with the sediment at the bottom of the FV.

I tried a bit of it and the best I can describe it as so far is a bit weak, watery and very old school 'homebrew' taste! Is that normal? Nothing nasty with no off smells or tastes just.......homebrew! Will it all come good in the bottles? I'm planning on the bottles being kept at 20 degrees for a week or so then in the garage for at least two before trying it. Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated, ta.

I tried a bit of it and the best I can describe it as so far is a bit weak, watery and very old school 'homebrew' taste! Is that normal? Nothing nasty with no off smells or tastes just.......homebrew! Will it all come good in the bottles? I'm planning on the bottles being kept at 20 degrees for a week or so then in the garage for at least two before trying it. Any comments or tips would be greatly appreciated, ta.
You have done and plan to do all the right things :thumb:
Home brewed 'green' beer never tastes very good imo. Time will tell whether the twang will go. Some beers are usually ready to drink and don't improve much after 2/3 weeks on from bottling but darker beers usually do improve with time and then plateau out. So you should notice a difference three weeks on, and again six to eight weeks on. You could try to keep one or two back to try at the four month stage.
The forum doesn't appear to have a review of your Shire Mild kit so why not do one when you get to drinking it later on and tell us what you think of it.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597

You have done and plan to do all the right things :thumb:
Home brewed 'green' beer never tastes very good imo. Time will tell whether the twang will go. Some beers are usually ready to drink and don't improve much after 2/3 weeks on from bottling but darker beers usually do improve with time and then plateau out. So you should notice a difference three weeks on, and again six to eight weeks on. You could try to keep one or two back to try at the four month stage.
The forum doesn't appear to have a review of your Shire Mild kit so why not do one when you get to drinking it later on and tell us what you think of it.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61597

Thanks, I'll do as you suggest and try it in stages. I'll definitely do a review once drinking it too.

Well done!

I taste my beer when I take the OG and when I take the FG before bottling just to make sure that it tastes terrible but not vinegary!

I then leave it alone for an absolute minimum of 4 weeks. Two to carbonate and two to condition. I can assure you that the first two tastes in no way compare to the third one!

Enjoy - but be patient! :thumb:

You seem to have done everything, so as other have said leave it to carb up for a couple of weeks then cold condition for a couple of weeks and it should taste much better. Kits often do have a HB twang about them initially, but time will improve. Ive done kits that were not impressive after 4 weeks in the bottle but were really good after 8 or 12 weeks. If you really get the bug you might want to try a bit all grain brewing in the future...with that the beer is drinkable almost out the fermenter.

Thanks chaps, I'm quite happy to wait. Hopefully as I progress then all grain brewing will follow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks chaps, I'm quite happy to wait. Hopefully as I progress then all grain brewing will follow. I'll let you know how it goes.

When you're ready for AG send me a PM and if we are in the UK we can meet up and have a pint in The Gas Lounge in Louth down by the riverside.

It's the home of Fulstows Brewery. They sell their AG kits through Grimsby Homebrew ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/beer-kits/micro-brewery-full-mash

...so you can sample "the real thing", make sure that you like it and then see if you can match it at home.

Fascinating way to get into AG. :lol: :lol:

Enjoy Christmas! :thumb: :thumb:

When you're ready for AG send me a PM and if we are in the UK we can meet up and have a pint in The Gas Lounge in Louth down by the riverside.

It's the home of Fulstows Brewery. They sell their AG kits through Grimsby Homebrew ...

http://www.homebrewcentregy.com/beer-kits/micro-brewery-full-mash

...so you can sample "the real thing", make sure that you like it and then see if you can match it at home.

Fascinating way to get into AG. :lol: :lol:

Enjoy Christmas! :thumb: :thumb:

Hi Dutto

Thanks for the offer, yes I'll definitely do that. It'd be good to meet up, have a sample and discuss all things beer. :thumb:

Thanks again for the offer and Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year.

Latest posts

Back