Completed AG Recipe Kits-GEB/MM

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cwych. Love this when I’ve found it on draft and the only place I can find an AG recipe is the malt Miller recipe pack?
Anyone tried it? Does it get close?

Just bought 2 AG kits from TMM - a Doom Bar clone and a Cali Common, based on a Jon Finch recipe.

Not brewed either before, so if anyone has brewed these, how did they turn out? Any tips?

Did the Cal Common a few months ago just ordered it again as it was very good.
I also recently did it, although I scaled the recipe down on Brewfather and ordered what I needed from MM.
Very nice, toasty maltiness
IMG_2021-06-15-20-51-40-607.jpg

Cwych. Love this when I’ve found it on draft and the only place I can find an AG recipe is the malt Miller recipe pack?
Anyone tried it? Does it get close?
There are several recipes on the MM website I have brewed the one from Lurch 555 it’s very close and improves greatly with age. In fact I’ve just brewed it again but it the colour appears to be a little on the light side this time but tastes good 😊

There are several recipes on the MM website I have brewed the one from Lurch 555 it’s very close and improves greatly with age. In fact I’ve just brewed it again but it the colour appears to be a little on the light side this time but tastes good 😊

cheers will check that out👍

Cant see it in their recipe section?

Last edited:
I find that the MM search can be unpredictable at the best of times if you google Cwtch clone recipe Malt Miller it should get you there There are quite a lot of different recipes put up by customers. Hope that helps

Right. Time for some reviews!

First The MM American IPA. This was supposed to be 7.3% but I ended up nearer 6% Even so this is not one I'd class as a Session beer :laugh8:

The instructions state to give this plenty of time to condition, and I'd definitely agree. After 4/5 weeks in the keg there was a harsh bitterness, almost metallic. Another two weeks and this has disappeared. Leaving a beer which smells and tastes rather fruity with a bit of pine dank at the end, but as said this taste's it's percentage and ain't light. Getting better all the time. If you like the style and sound of it I'd definitely recommend, but probs a little to full on for my liking.

Coming up next is the MM House Pale Ale. Another Jon Finch creation and at 5% it's far more manageable. As the recipe suggests this is no frills. However despite being only in the keg 10 days (natural carving) it looks to be a winner. Balanced, though the Caramel Malt means this almost heads towards a UK Bitter. Regardless I'm sure with another week it'll be excellent.

Both kits well packages, and neither break the bank. All in all, very pleased. And looking forward to giving more a go. Have Vic Secret Delight next, and then we'll see where we go

Ordered the following for delivery next week. Just not sure which one to brew first............

GEB Sessionable IPA
MM Verdant Lightbulb
MM Cali Common (John Finch)
MM House Pale (John Finch)
MM Allagash White

Just as a follow up, I've given the Pale Ale another two weeks conditioning and I'm over the moon. It was my best brewday to date and the end result is a beer that I can say compares comfortably to anything bought commercially.

It's not a hop bomb. Just a very well balanced drinkable beer which I wholeheartedly recommend to those getting into AG/Kegging athumb..

I agree with you Eight Ace, the MM AG kits are great and the results are more often than not very good and value for money etc. When I next place an order will probably try that Pale Ale that you made, sounds like a good one.
Have got an ESB kit to do next and then a tribute clone kit. Have you brewed the Vic Secret Delight yet?

OK, all going well tomorrow, I'm planning on putting a brew on during my working day. My son's going to the in-laws and the wife's working a late shift. As it's so warm just now, I'm going with the Doom Bar Clone - I won't be able to keep temperatures below 20 degrees to do the Cali Common.

The instruction from the MM is to ferment at 25 degrees for 5 days then condition for 10 days. So, question - for the 10 days conditioning, what does that mean? Place the FV somewhere cool for 10 days? I don't think I have a room in my house that will be cooler than about 22 degrees at the moment, and I don't have temperature control.

I agree with you Eight Ace, the MM AG kits are great and the results are more often than not very good and value for money etc. When I next place an order will probably try that Pale Ale that you made, sounds like a good one.
Have got an ESB kit to do next and then a tribute clone kit. Have you brewed the Vic Secret Delight yet?

That's to this btw :laugh8:

Right. Time for some reviews!

First The MM American IPA. This was supposed to be 7.3% but I ended up nearer 6% Even so this is not one I'd class as a Session beer :laugh8:

The instructions state to give this plenty of time to condition, and I'd definitely agree. After 4/5 weeks in the keg there was a harsh bitterness, almost metallic. Another two weeks and this has disappeared. Leaving a beer which smells and tastes rather fruity with a bit of pine dank at the end, but as said this taste's it's percentage and ain't light. Getting better all the time. If you like the style and sound of it I'd definitely recommend, but probs a little to full on for my liking.

Coming up next is the MM House Pale Ale. Another Jon Finch creation and at 5% it's far more manageable. As the recipe suggests this is no frills. However despite being only in the keg 10 days (natural carving) it looks to be a winner. Balanced, though the Caramel Malt means this almost heads towards a UK Bitter. Regardless I'm sure with another week it'll be excellent.

Both kits well packages, and neither break the bank. All in all, very pleased. And looking forward to giving more a go. Have Vic Secret Delight next, and then we'll see where we go

Just to add, I've come back to the AIPA after two weeks and it's improved further. It really does need a good time conditioning, but it's worth it!

I've recently brewed the GEB Pimped Up APA, kegged around June 11th. It's still pretty cloudy, some of it is chill haze (sitting at 8C). I think I may have boiled it a bit too long or too vigorously, it's a lot darker than I would expect an APA to be and fairly malty rather than hoppy. Could that be my water? I did add salts to counteract my London hard water.
My OG ended up at 1.058 and fermented out at 1.007 so 6.5ish. I kegged about 19l and force carbed, and also put 3l in PET bottles, couple of carb drops and left in a warm place for 2 weeks before putting in the fridge. Those are looking cloudy still as well.

Next up is the MM Elusive Spellbinder porter, I think that will work better with my native water profile. Once that has fermented I'm going to stick half of it in a 10l Corny and bottle the rest to leave for Christmas and then get another lightish beer on the go, possibly the MM/Craft Brew Channel Mountain IPA, looks tasty!

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/timothy-taylor-landlord-premium-kit/
Got a brew on last night as been struggling to squeeze day time brews in at the moment …
So had a go at the MM landlord premium kit , all went fairly well although my notes went a bit wayward as the evening drew on 🍺🍺🍺.
Anyways over shot numbers slightly , ended up 5-6 points over on the SG.
Will keep you posted on the outcome…
🍻.

MM Spellbinder clone brewed last Thursday, left overnight to cool and pitched with two packs of S-04 midday Friday.
OG was around 1.065 and was down to 1.0095 by Sunday morning, which held steady for the rest of the day (iSpindel readings so probably a little off). Chucked in 100g of coffee this afternoon, managed to get the same beans as Elusive used on their last batch. Will keg in my half corny at the end of the week and bottle the rest for Christmas. Also ordered some of the real thing so I can compare.

Latest posts

Back