Quantcast

Condensation in garage

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

Clint

Hammered.....
Reaction score
I brew in the house...my range cooker extractor seems to cope with it.

Crappyfish

Reaction score
I moved out the kitchen for the same reason steam everywhere I do mine in a brick shed which the window fell out never put it back cos it let's the steam out. Leave shed door open and the steam that comes out is unbelievable so outdoors or in a shed for me. Getting back to the real issue my brother brews directly under the cooker extraction fan and that works for him.

IanG

Reaction score
My current extractor above the cooker is not even connected to a vent. Complete waste of time.

Looks shiny

Interestingly the OP could just not do a rolling boil. Mash could be done on a low heat in say a slow cooker. The boil is mainly done to sterilise the water. As long as the complex starch in the grain has been broken down fermentation should be fine. Hops might be problematic in a slow cooker. It'd be way too bitter. Just me being stupid

Last edited:

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
My current extractor above the cooker is not even connected to a vent. Complete waste of time.

Looks shiny

Interestingly the OP could just not do a rolling boil. Mash could be done on a low heat in say a slow cooker. The boil is mainly done to sterilise the water. As long as the complex starch in the grain has been broken down fermentation should be fine. Hops might be problematic in a slow cooker. It'd be way too bitter. Just me being stupid
I’ve been having a look at different methods... Might try no boil on one

IanG

Reaction score
Please don't. I am a bit of an idiot. The no boil method will work but it'll be bland. Think Fosters lager rather than a decent ale.

Last edited:

MarkBowie

Regular.
Reaction score
Please don't. I am a bit of an idiot. The no boil method will work but it'll be bland. Think Fosters lager rather than a decent ale.
😂 I’ve been reading about the raw ale fad anyway....

AdeDunn

Reaction score
Do you think it might have anything to do with it being connected to an external vent :?::?::?:
Ours has an external vent on the side of the house, massive big fan assembly thing up inside the hood, huge hood.... It actually worked ok when I had my ACE under there, as the top of the ACE was closer to it, and narrower. But when I used my DIY rig it had a larger surface area (so more boil off...) and was lower down, so further away from the hood. It just didn't have the "suck" to pull all of the steam up. Plus, as I mentioned, there was the condensation that used to form on the stupid mesh, I used to have to mop it regularly to stop it from dripping....

I have seen cooker hoods that rely entirely on filters inside them, but that's not going to do much to keep damp down when boiling stuff I'd say.