Condensation in garage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I moved out the kitchen for the same reason steam everywhere I do mine in a brick shed which the window fell out never put it back cos it let's the steam out. Leave shed door open and the steam that comes out is unbelievable so outdoors or in a shed for me. Getting back to the real issue my brother brews directly under the cooker extraction fan and that works for him.

My current extractor above the cooker is not even connected to a vent. Complete waste of time.

Looks shiny

Interestingly the OP could just not do a rolling boil. Mash could be done on a low heat in say a slow cooker. The boil is mainly done to sterilise the water. As long as the complex starch in the grain has been broken down fermentation should be fine. Hops might be problematic in a slow cooker. It'd be way too bitter. Just me being stupid

Last edited:
My current extractor above the cooker is not even connected to a vent. Complete waste of time.

Looks shiny

Interestingly the OP could just not do a rolling boil. Mash could be done on a low heat in say a slow cooker. The boil is mainly done to sterilise the water. As long as the complex starch in the grain has been broken down fermentation should be fine. Hops might be problematic in a slow cooker. It'd be way too bitter. Just me being stupid
I’ve been having a look at different methods... Might try no boil on one

Do you think it might have anything to do with it being connected to an external vent :?::?::?:

Ours has an external vent on the side of the house, massive big fan assembly thing up inside the hood, huge hood.... It actually worked ok when I had my ACE under there, as the top of the ACE was closer to it, and narrower. But when I used my DIY rig it had a larger surface area (so more boil off...) and was lower down, so further away from the hood. It just didn't have the "suck" to pull all of the steam up. Plus, as I mentioned, there was the condensation that used to form on the stupid mesh, I used to have to mop it regularly to stop it from dripping....

I have seen cooker hoods that rely entirely on filters inside them, but that's not going to do much to keep damp down when boiling stuff I'd say.

I'm brewing today in the utility room with an extractor fans going, with the anointing toilet fan going, the window and back door open and I still have condensation dripping from the door frame.

I started using the garage but the steam was ridiculous and I was already worried about damp in there. I then set up an extractor which helped keep the garage OK but dripped a lot back in. Then I migrated to outside the garage with a tarp above the area. Much better although tarp was a faff.

Two weeks ago I realised I have a perma-cover area between garage and house, only about 4ft by 4ft space with the log store there too, but is enough provided no strong wind sending tree debris over! I do feel a bit of a thicky for not making this discovery for the past 3 years though!

First time I did a stove top biab I had condensation running down the walls in the kitchen. After that I fashioned a chimney from over the pot using ducting to direct the steam straight into the extractor hood and that worked really well.

Now I have a robobrew, the ducting fits to the glass lid (which handily has a hole for the recirculation arm) and goes straight out the kitchen window. I had intended to fit an extractor fan to the ducting to help draw out the steam but it works well without it.

Here's I pic of a Munich Dunkel being brewed...

Attachments

• IMG_20201122_102921881.jpg
    IMG_20201122_102921881.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 85
Its going to take a lot of extraction
My mate got a large tropical fish tank,The condensation off that was enough to ruin his furnishings and decor despite him using domestic grade extractors and damp absorbents,His missus was not amused.

If a fish tank can do that imagine what a boiling vat can do.!!

I built a porch with window above boiler at top of the wall, steam would still collect in the porch until the door was open, even just ajar, then the steam would clear straight away. So some through draught necessary?

My lo-fi solution is to use a cheap fan placed just behind and above the boiler to blow the steam towards the open garage door. Seems to work fine even with a cheap one like mine -

FAN
Exactly what I do; except in the kitchen with patio doors instead of garage door. I've been doing it like that for years now without causing a damp problem. I think the fan's airflow helps keep the smaller flies away as well.

Latest posts

Back