Condition without Priming

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VillageBrew

AG Novice
Reaction score
I know that most people follow the 2+2+2 method (as I have to date) but I've been studying Graham Wheeler's book where he suggests (if I am reading it right) that the beer should be left in the cask (PB for me) to condition by fermenting out the remaining sugars in the beer, without adding any priming material.

Do people follow this method, and how long do I need to wait (impatiently) if I am doing that?

Essentially, GW states that most homebrewers prime and/ or use finings simply to save time - a well-brewed beer should clear and condition given time.
I'm just not sure how to work out if I haven't left it long enough or if the beer doesn't contain enough fermentable material to do the job without a helping hand.

I know that most people follow the 2+2+2 method (as I have to date) but I've been studying Graham Wheeler's book where he suggests (if I am reading it right) that the beer should be left in the cask (PB for me) to condition by fermenting out the remaining sugars in the beer, without adding any priming material.

Do people follow this method, and how long do I need to wait (impatiently) if I am doing that?

GW points out that if you are are drinking an AG beer that has been left for, let's say, two months in the bottle, the chances are that the level of carbonation is going to be fine, for the sort of beers he brewed, without priming sugars.

Most homebrew is likely to be drunk a tad before it is at its best (circa 3 months?) and a bit of priming sugar makes it into a nice fizzy drink before the interminable wait is over.

@VillageBrew
For those of us who don't have GW's book it would be useful to know exactly what he does say.
Look forward to finding out :thumb:

Terry, I doubt there is much, if anything, in the said book that you are unaware of. Information around the subject has grown enormously since the time this book was first written and I would suggest that you, your good self, are very little less knowledgeable than the great sages of yesteryear.

Terry, I doubt there is much, if anything, in the said book that you are unaware of. Information around the subject has grown enormously since the time this book was first written and I would suggest that you, your good self, are very little less knowledgeable than the great sages of yesteryear.
I might have a new signature :whistle:

Essentially, GW states that most homebrewers prime and/ or use finings simply to save time - a well-brewed beer should clear and condition given time.
I'm just not sure how to work out if I haven't left it long enough or if the beer doesn't contain enough fermentable material to do the job without a helping hand.

I totally agree with GW when he states that a well-brewed beer should clear and condition given time; but I equally think that he is considerably out of date with today's home brewing practices.

I for one never use finings in a beer.

Also, because the fermentation process is so well controlled and so long, by the time I bottle my beer the gravity is so low that further fermentation would be insufficient to carbonate a beer; no matter how long it was left in the bottle.

As a result, secondary fermentation (so named because the primary fermentation is completed before bottling) requires further fermentable sugars.

Back in "the good old days" home brew fermentation relied solely on ambient (and therefore uncontrolled) fermenting temperatures, hydrometers were used by very few home brewers and almost all beer was classed as "ready for bottling" when the air-lock stopped bubbling for more than a few minutes.

Ever ridden with a kid in a car and heard the chant of "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

If so, you are listening to what a lot of home brew enthusiasts asked in the 1960's and 70's before they whacked their cloudy, still fermenting beer into a bottle with the intention of drinking it within a week or ten days.

And guess what? It had a "home brew twang" and in protest at its mistreatment it occasionally blew up the bottle into which it had been forced! :whistle:

I think that was the audience that GW was probably writing for! :thumb:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

Back