Conditioning a burnt rubber flavour lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamthefly

Reaction score
Hi,
I brewed a rice lager from the Greg Hughes book but it's got that chlorine related taste of burning elastoplast after fermentation.
I have extremely soft tap water, practically pure, but I forgot to put in a 1/4 Campden tablet to dechlorinate as usual, although I made a kit once which asked for cold tap water so I just added it straight off the tap and it fine.
I also added a dash of yeast nutrient crystals, less than recommend, however the last time I used it I also added water salts and got the same off flavour only worse. I did dechlorinate the water that time. Minerals, bleh!

I added cane sugar to the king keg and dropped it in the freezer at to 3C straight away. I'm expecting it to carb slowly.

1) where do you think this bad taste is coming from?
2) will it clear up over time, should I raise the temp to help it?

Cheers

Have you done any sanitising with bleach/chlorine based cleaners and not swilled them?

The chlorophenol flavour doesn't go away. It can get slightly muted at best. I've left beer with it for a year and it's still there.

I use starsan to sanitise. I'll wait until I need the keg again and if it hasn't improved I'll dump it
Thanks

Stressed yeast and off flavours which only get worse in my experience. I ditched many batches with this off flavour. If you search "plastic band aid flavour in beer" you will find loads. I think its from a bad fermentation.
Do you control fermentation temps?
Do you pitch enough yeast?
Do you oxygenate the wort?
Does your water taste ok?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back