Conditioning and carbonating in Corny Keg -process check

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by Yabezag, Nov 1, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Nov 1, 2019 #1

Yabezag

Yabezag

Yabezag

Having taken the plunge with cornys I just wanted to confirm the process I have in mind below having read up on various posts... corrections suggestions welcome!

1. Clean everything. Full disassembly. Thorough rinse.
    2. Sanitise everything and reassemble. Leave some sanitiser in keg.
    3. Beer transfer from fv. Empty remaining sanitiser solution from corny. Connect long hose to fv tap and run to bottom of corny. I also have in-line filters on hose. Open tap and fill to leave gap from top of beer to bottom of gas in post -approx 18.5 litres.
    4. Pressure corny to 20-30 psi. Bleed off a couple of times to remove any oxygen. Leave for a week to carbonate beer
    4.1 leave gas connected or disconnect at this stage?
    4.2 do you condition/carb at room temp. Or straight into kegerator at 5 degrees? This decides what temp to use with the carbonation charts.
    5. After week, bleed off corny and re-pressure to lower psi for serving temp..
    6. Cross fingers and pour?

2. Nov 1, 2019 #2

simon12

simon12

simon12

THBF Sponsor THBF Sponsor

1,2 & 3 yes. 4.1 Yes or disconnect and top up regularly as pressure will drop as CO2 is absorbed 4.2 It will carbonate quicker at the lower temp so unless you need the space in the kegerator for something else this is better. You can use a higher pressure initially to get it to carb quicker. 5 Its better if you can have the carbing pressure and serving pressure the same.
    Hope this helps.

3. Nov 1, 2019 #3

simon12

simon12

simon12

THBF Sponsor THBF Sponsor

Forgot to say after 1st use theres no need to disassemble everything just add some line cleaner to the keg shake it about then flush the lines through and then repeat with water.

4. Nov 1, 2019 #4

Graz

Graz

Graz

Landlord.

Also about to pop my Cornelius keg cherry and based on what I've read then yes with @simon12 comments taken into account that's basically the gist of it.

I've got two kegs and was thinking I'd start just by making some fizzy water in one to test everything before moving onto actual beer.

5. Nov 1, 2019 #5

Yabezag

Yabezag

Yabezag

Thanks for quick reply to my post! Will go and fettle it now!

Draft saved Draft deleted